Light-O-Rama Forums

Third year for the show, 1st time GFCI issues X2

EvilM0nkey

I've never had one trip, even with last year's rainy and windy season. But this year I have all of them tripping.

On my static display I have an added GFI behind the timer and a GFI outlet for the show. I think I have the static display figured out (I hope)

The absolutely most frustrating part is that my issue is combined leakage. I can put 15 channels at 100% and the last one at 90% and it won't trip. Put the last channel up to 100% and it pops immediately. Doesn't matter what combination of channels I use.

The other issue is this is the third year of my show and the third different location, so I don't have a typical setup.

I do have 3 metal spiral trees but I can leave them at 100% underwater and they don't trip it (the connectors were literally underwater a few times last year with no issues).

The grids of lights on the roof collect leaves as well so I have a feeling that they are a part of the issue as well.

Well out to tackle it... Very frustrating!

a couple things I did, there is a thread  I started where smarties came in and helped me.  http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/34188-gfci-trips-leakage-to-ground-huh/?view=getnewpost

1. check all connections, and look for fraying.  it usually isnt a plug, as the holes being filled with water wont do it, they have to be bridged with water..

2. replace the plug.  they wear out, or are bad from go.   I did this and in a pouring rain will still get a pop... but 10x less

3 insulate metal elements from the ground with rubber or plastic.  this made some difference... search "leakage to ground" it can be a combined thing.  no bad circuit , ie channel 5 controller 3 pops it, but the combined amount of lost juice pops them. 

Simplest solution for accumulative current leakage when it rains is to add additional GFCI receptacles, not circuits(providing your total load is below the circuit rating). As you know, each controller can be plugged into two different GFCI receptacles on the same circuit. I have installed additional GFCI receptacles to power the controllers this way. Since I did this, my show can handle any rain storm - including metal frames and mega tree strands. However, if any connection is "submerged" such as in a puddle or water trapped between leaves, etc. that alone would have a high probability of tripping a GFCI. Taped connections trap water that can contact the hot and neutral blades and have current leakage. Personally, I do not tape to allow draining/drying, I leave drip loops if necessary, avoid leaving too many connections just laying on the ground(can use plastic stakes or build a short "goal post" with the connection between the posts, etc.) and I use more GFCI receptacles(line side to line side connections as a load side connection defeats the purpose) to power each side of each controller separately(although my arch and mega tree controllers never needed it, my bushes, trees, roof needed it to survive the rain). Good Luck.

I didn't even think about splitting the circuits. Whoever the beautiful person is that installed the outside outlets put them all on separate circuits.

If I have a problem this weekend I'll give that a shot.

If adding multiple GFCI's on a line, be sure they are wired correctly.  They are not wired the same as if you have 1 GFCI and a regular receptacle down the line from it.  They need to be connected to the LINE, not the LOAD.  If you take an existing receptacle that's protected by a CFGI further up that line, and simply replace it with a 2nd GFCI, you will have pops all of the time.  Take your 1st GFCI and change the LOAD wire and add it to your LINE.  Then you can add the 2nd GFCI.

Edited by Liberty-Laser
  • Like 2

If adding multiple GFCI's on a line, be sure they are wired correctly. They are not wired the same as if you have 1 GFCI and a regular receptacle down the line from it. They need to be connected to the LINE, not the LOAD. If you take an existing receptacle that's protected by a CFGI further up that line, and simply replace it with a 2nd GFCI, you will have pops all of the time. Take your 1st GFCI and change the LOAD wire and add it to your LINE. Then you can add the 2nd GFCI.

This point is too often overlooked.

Thanks for reminding us all.