Light-O-Rama Forums

Keeping strobes dry

bobschm

Recent rains seem to show I'm on the right track.

Figure one shows a typical stock curtain strobe after a decent rain. I tried the advice to make a hole in the bottom. That sounds like the Three Stooges in a leaky boat drilling another hole to let the water OUT! Nyuk. Nyuk. Plus it didn't work. I still had failures.

The problem is shown in figure 2. The seam around the crimp is not watertight.

Figure 3 shows that seam sealed with a bead of caulking. I seal my strobes with a finger dollop of silicone. I've not had a moisture failure of a strobe with a caulked crimp.

I live in New England, so I'm not sure how a completely sealed strobe will handle wide temperature swings like you desert dwellers get. Try it and let us know. 

post-7596-0-25062300-1417972013_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I wrap my strobes in cling wrap and clear packing tape, it dont defuse the look. I also do it to my large strobes for Halloween.

that's a great idea Bob, I'll have to do that after this season. I too live in Massachusetts and get the wet weather although I've been fortunate to only lose like one or two strobes a year but next year I'll try your idea and maybe I can get a few years with out replacing!  :D