Light-O-Rama Forums

new computer

Kozville Gallows

Last year I got everything up and running. Now this year we got a new computer and I am having trouble getting my show to start. Getting very frustrated on how to enable show and get everything started. I used the simple show builder and have that all set and go to the light o rama control panel to start show on demand and I keep getting an error code. please help

Either you do not have the USB485 attached to your computer, or the software driver hasn't been installed yet.

Make sure the LOR USB485 converter is connected to a USB port on your computer. Now confirm there's a Light-O-Rama controller connected to the USB485 and the controller is turned on. The status light on the controller should be flashing or solid on. 

Open up the Light-O-Rama Hardware Utility. This can be found by pressing the Windows Start button/orb and looking in the Light-O-Rama folder. You can also find the Hardware Utility by RIGHT clicking the LOR light bulb in the Windows system tray (usually in the lower right corner of your screen). 

In the Hardware Utility, on the left side, is a panel that says 'Setup Comm Port'. Click the 'Auto Configure' button. The program will scan all available communication ports on your computer and hopefully find the one connected to your LOR controller. If it does, the port number will show up in the little box. From now on LOR programs will use that communications port. You're done so stop reading and start playing with your lights. 

Second: If the above was unsuccessful, let's reinstall the low level USB485 drivers required by Windows. 

If you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8: 

Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet. 

Open the Windows Device Manager (type device manager into the Windows orb search box). Look for the section called 'Ports (COM and LPT)'. Expand it. You should see one that says something like 'USB Serial Port (Com 8)'... which is for your USB485 converter. Double click on that port and go to the 'Driver' tab. Click 'Update Driver' and then 'Search Automatically'. Give it a couple of minutes. When it's done, reboot your computer and run your tests again. 

If STILL unsuccessful: 

Unplug the adapter and reboot the computer. Then download the driver file from here: http://www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/ 

(bottom of the page, the file is called CDM20830_Setup.exe file) 

Run the download and wait a few minutes (up to 5) since it may look like it is done but is actually still running. 

Now plug in the adapter.