Light-O-Rama Forums

failure, maybe?

seriouslylosingit

So I have been trying to finish all of my outdoor "activities" while also finishing my last semester of nursing school..I came home tonight to check out my lights and really feel like my display totally stunk... Anyone else ever feel like what they put lots of work into just plain sucks??

You are your own worst critic. I've lost count of the songs/displays that I've done that I hear people going on and on about how much they liked it, all the while thinking, "Man, that sucked."

Get a grip. Lights, even static, are awesome.

Even just one strand on roofline makes me smile.

Yours just can't suck.

Roberta,

You have a good thing going on. If YOU feel good about it, then enjoy it. Others will too. It's not always a line of cars to prove a display. It's just one smile that counts. One ooooh or aaaah that says, that was cool is worth the cause. You may not see that from viewers in the cars but I'm sure it's happening.

Be proud. Your doing something majority of others aren't. :)

This hobby is a learning process for all of us. Each of our displays/shows is different than anyone else's as we all have different locations, ideas, songs and so many other things but I think its like we are a weird form of artists, in lights! As said several times in here already, its the smiles that it generates is all that matters. Wish you could have seen my grandaughters out in the driveway a few nights ago, all singing "Let it go" at the top of their voices to the music and lights! It makes it worth it. Kids hanging out car windows with their oohs and ahhs...that's more than enough for me.

You have gotten some great advice. I have to admit, some of the best displays have been static. But then too got to love watching lights dance to music. Out where I live in the sticks, we dont have much in the ways of people with LOR or other similar displays. Worse display was one where with one string the wrapped a porch post and ran the remainder along the gutter. But a stately house had icicles along the edge of the roof. It looks grand and stately. It made me smile. So I am sure your display will make people smile. And for most of us, thats what its all about. More important, buckle down and learn how to be a good nurse. many years ahead where you can do the lights with more time to do it.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I live in the sticks also so I have to rely on my own kids and some of the neighbors for feedback.  My goal is to have a "Hot Chocolate" party out in the country.  I want to invite some of the neighbors and other people with kids who also live out in the country and provide some hot chocolate and cookies and a light show for them to watch.  Thought it might be fun for all of us who live out of town and don't get to see all of the different displays that are more common in town.

There's a street in Upland, Calif., where the entire street participates together. The street is closed off and people walk, meet the homeowners with their firepits out, serving hot chocolate, cookies, candy canes and so on. Its really nice. I'd love to attempt to make that happen here but its just too cold and where you live, is worse by far when considering the cold

I thought I would "serve" and everyone could watch from their cars.  We have a large area in our yard that can be used as a "parking lot".  I think this will work for me, but probably not others because of my yard.