Light-O-Rama Forums

Decorating Hell on Earth

jtomason

So, we moved just over a year ago to this rental... Long story.   The house is great to live in... But sucks to decorate. 

House_zps04896b56.jpg

The ladder won't reach the roof, which isn't terribly visible anyway.   No features on the house to decorate, no substantial plants or trees...   So everything had to be basically in the yard - which is pretty tiny; the property line is about halfway between the left side of the house and the white bricks of the neighbor's garden on the lower left.    

So basically, my entire game plan had to change.   I didn't even bother last year since I had no idea what I would do.  

This year, I dug out all the lights, and just tried to make something work.  

Here's the result.  

Very nicely done.  The dog likes it too apparently. :)

Don't know about you, but that house screams out to me that it would be perfect for C9 sized bulbs positioned on narrow strips reaching from the upper gutter to the ground placed every 12" apart.  WOW, what a perfect house for that.

Thanks guys.

Iflights: The issue is in reaching the roof. My ladder won't come close - first two-story house we've lived in - and we didn't want to buy a big ladder since its a rental. Outside of that, I'd have to rent a cherry picker or something, which would be an issue in itself.

Looks like we will be staying, so maybe that's a 2015 plan. I'd love to incorporate some pixels and test the RGB waters.. Might be a January investment.

• 2 years later...
On 12/5/2014 at 2:36 PM, iflights said:

Don't know about you, but that house screams out to me that it would be perfect for C9 sized bulbs positioned on narrow strips reaching from the upper gutter to the ground placed every 12" apart.  WOW, what a perfect house for that.

So as it turned out, without remembering this post, I did almost exactly what you suggested this year.   Great minds think alike?   :D

And you want to know what else is interesting about this 2 year old post, for next year, I'm doing snowflakes like you have them now that I've gathered enough.

On 12/24/2016 at 11:51 AM, jtomason said:

So as it turned out, without remembering this post, I did almost exactly what you suggested this year.   Great minds think alike?   :D

Pictures? Videos?

1 hour ago, iflights said:

And you want to know what else is interesting about this 2 year old post, for next year, I'm doing snowflakes like you have them now that I've gathered enough.

Mine are dying, and I can't find replacements... So it looks like next year, those will be going RGB: http://www.holidaycoro.com/PixNode-CoroFlake-p/130.htm

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

Pictures? Videos?

Right here: 

• Like 1

you coulkd cheat on getting a taller my 24 ft ladder... Buy one from Wally World, they have a good return policy... us it then take it back and say it just doesnt fit your needs... It will be put on sale as used and returned especially if there is a little dirt, plaster or paint spots you can point out on it.. have a buddy go there and offer the manager like 80 bucks for the 130 dollar ladder and buy it back... 

Really.. Just Kidding.. I would never never ever do that..

• The topic was locked