Light-O-Rama Forums

should the power supply fan run full blast?

portcity_gt

I just assumed it would kick on according to load, but this sucker is humming with no load at all.

Will it hurt it to run like that 24/7?

Its just the run of the mill 360w

20141204_193551_zps86ovkcav.jpg

It presumably has a thermostat to control the fan.  Just depends on how hot it is.  Inside a closed box, it could get pretty warm.  I have one of those supplies in my attic.  It runs hard every afternoon because it gets pretty hot up there, even though it has less than one amp of load when the show is not running.

If you put a load on it does the fan speed up? My fan runs constantly and a noticeable speed. Turn on a few pixels it speeds up, turn on more it speeds up.

I will check mine when I get home.  I have mine installed in metal boxes with the power supply mounted directly to the box hoping it would help to dissipate any heat.  I have a few vent holes on the bottom of the box.  Temperature around here has been in the 30's and 40's. 

My power supplies are Meanwell's - 28 Amp output.  About $50 each.

Edited by wbaker4

I purchased 2 of the 12v 360w models from one of the vendors here, and the fans stay on all the time, regardless of enclosure temp.  I suspect there is no fan control circuit at all.  2 PS fans running at the same time in the same enclosure, was very loud, even with the door closed.  

They were around $25 each if I recall correctly.

I replaced them with Meanwell products as those do have fan control circuits.  I spent around $60 each, but they are running nice and quiet.

I tried my other new one today, it runs constant also, so i guess its normal.

On a side note is this input wire big enough? It says its 18 gauge but it sure looks small.

20141205_154045_zpsoirymtxg.jpg

I would change the AC input.  The power supplies I use (Meanwell SE-350-12)  Have a typical operating current of 7 Amps @ 115VAC with a max inrush current of 40 A.

Your input should at least be 14 gauge.

Edited by wbaker4

• 3 weeks later...

Have the same setup and wondered the same thing I put it on a 7 day timer with my Tune to sign and start it 30 min before show and turn off 30 min after. just didn't like the idea of it running all day in warmer weather nights are down in the high 20s.

I had the same continuous fan problem with the first couple of PS's that I purchased. I installed these and put them inline on the fan power to solve the problem. The link is ebay.ca but you can search on the us site for the same thing. I got the 50 c temp rating from the meanwell spec page for an equivalent charger,

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Daryl B.