Light-O-Rama Forums

light fuses are blowing

Plumber Plays with Lights

A friend is asking about a static light display. He is putting 5 sets of incd lights on the front of his house and the little fuse inside the lights blows after 15-20 mins of being on . Any helpful advise would be great

Some incandescents can't have 5 in-line. It will pop the fuse on the first 1. Run another extension cord to 2 of them.

Have him check the box to see how many strings can be put end to end.  Putting too many strings end to end will cause the fuse to blow.

3a fuses equals approximately 900+ lights plugged end to end and it will blow fuses. I have had several blown fuses with recent rain as well.

3a fuses equals approximately 900+ lights plugged end to end and it will blow fuses. I have had several blown fuses with recent rain as well.

I believe that they dont all have a 3 amp fuse. Some have less. And that 900 might be for some, but believe that some draw more current. And it is wiser to leave some breathing room. Dont load over 80% of rating.  I am with wbaker4 about reading the box or tags on the wires. If one just starts plugging things together like a mindless person. They are going to have problems. This hobby does require some thinking and planning.