Light-O-Rama Forums

if i put a rgb ribbon in pex?

portcity_gt

Ok, it looks like it does. Im thinking about building a small spiral tree and i wanted to make sure the back side of the tree could be seen from the front

• 2 weeks later...

there are many types of PEX tubing you would want something that's translucent. Like wirsbo aquapex . I've been experimenting and the white pex does not let through as much light. I'd like to hear if somebody found something that works well. if somebody else has gone through the trial and error phase it would be very helpful to save us all some time.

I think the most common around here is the PEX tubing sold by Home Depot and Lowes.  HD calls it Sharkbite.  It does a pretty good job of looking like a florescent tube when lit.  I am lighting mine with CCPs in an arch and other than the pixels and wiring being in the way, it lights up pretty well on the backside.  Now granted that a CCP is likely going to do better at that than a ribbon because it's a more omnidirectional light source, but off hand I would suspect that it will do at least fairly well on the back side.  Likely better if the ribbon can be held in the middle of the tube rather than having the back side right up against the inside of the tube.

the stuff I bought at home depot (shark bite) seems to be a little on the yellow side when I slid my lights into it it cut the output significantly. I just did a special order of the Aquapex to test out. I'm going to cross my fingers that it does what I want. I'm using dumb strings of RGB on my roof line I want to pre make all of my lights so that I can just snap them in place when I put them up

the stuff I bought at home depot (shark bite) seems to be a little on the yellow side when I slid my lights into it it cut the output significantly. I just did a special order of the Aquapex to test out. I'm going to cross my fingers that it does what I want. I'm using dumb strings of RGB on my roof line I want to pre make all of my lights so that I can just snap them in place when I put them up

There are two different colors of the white PEX. One is a true white and the other is a cream looking color. I assume you got the cream colored one. I did the same thing. Gave the yellowish, warm white look that looks like the lights were dropped in the mud. Something like clear incans or warm white LEDs. IMHO, that is a color I try my best to stay away from. When buying PEX, make sure you get the white, white one, not the cream, white one. 

I ended up using white shark bite, it effects the light more than i would like but it works pretty good.

Spiral 3: