Light-O-Rama Forums

Thems fightin words...

tmcmillin2001

Unveiled show to Mrs yesterday and...

"Too much flashing" she said!!

"Someone's gonna get seizures" she said!!

UH YA!!!

She said she wanted Griswold and I did pretty good with the 16 channel starter kit and nearly flawless build/implementation - sequenced 2 songs and got 2 more off interwebs...

Almost Single

Pearland, TX

:)

Join the club!!....lol!!

'Why has it all gone dark?', she asked.

'I don't like the flashing'....she said.

'I don't like the windows'.....she said.

Several neighbor compliments later and she is back on board.......lol

My wife was saying the same things as I was out tearing up everything I put in the yard to rearrange it because I didn't like the way it looked. Of course she was overjoyed with it when I was done. So much fun. Lol

It's hard not to be a little blinky with 16 channels. But as you add channels you start adding elements that use multiple channels. Then you start can do spins and sweeps that start to get away from so much flash (unless that’s the effect you were going for). Even with small channel counts you can add fades to take the edge off the effects or dedicate one channel to keep certain lights on all the time (like the roof edge).

Last year I added the Plasma Icicles.. programmed them and watched.. Way to flashy.. so what I did was make sure that unless I meant there to be darkness, there was always some light(s) on to calm what the eye sees.. Wow!  What a difference that made.. pleasant to watch instead of a headache..

That's basically what I do also. I had enough channels to do that right from the start, but for someone with far fewer channels it actually saves some to use for more interesting things.

I use background color (either red, green or blue) on ALL my bushes and buildings and unless I specifically want darkness, the background is always lit. I mean, basically, everything turns on and off and if it was all viewed with the house and bushes flashing too it would look hideous. However, if I stop the bushes and use then for background, that in itself changes hideous into awesome.

Yeah George I think I want to add some floods into what I have for next year just for that purpose. Just enough to have a little light on all the time. 16 channels is hard to not be blinky flashy. Working on tweaking stuff as I am seeing the show run but it's tough with so few channels. I have grand plans in my head for next year and thankfully my wife is a little bit more on board. Lol

• The topic was locked