Light-O-Rama Forums

Has anyone used a live tree to build a megatree?

Klayfish

So I was out yesterday with my family to cut down our annual Christmas trees.  We always get two...one family tree and one for just the kids.  As we just moved, we had to find a new place to get our trees.  This place had trees that were 20+ feet tall...and they were cheap.  It got me thinking...  For 2015, I planned to add a megatree to my display.  My plan was to buy the kit and build that.  But as I stood there staring at the gorgeous trees...there were even shaped perfectly...it got me thinking.  Has anyone ever used a real tree as a mega?  My biggest question would be how would I stand it upright and secure it so it wouldn't fall.  I don't suppose WalMart sells a 25' tree stand... :blink::D  So any thoughts on how you could stand and secure a tree that tall?  I may just do the kit, but wanted to explore this possibility.

I would think the best way to do it is to cement some pvc in the ground big enough to stick the trunk in and hold water for the tree.

Actually, our new house backs up to a forest.  There are several deciduous trees that are 40+ feet tall already, as well as several 30+ foot evergreens.  I intend to hang lights from them...at least as high as I can reach. :)

you can come and take a pine out of my yard if you want to.... I have 6 thats about 60 + feet tall. take em before the wind here blows them over...

One issue I suppose is keeping it watered s oit doesn't dry out and pose a big fire hazzard. But you would still need to attach guy wires in three to four points t okeep the tree upright.

The bad thing about a full tree like that is you can't see thru it s othe lights on the back side won't be seen from the street. So if your chasing lights around the tree or strings idividually bouncing around, your not going to see them thru the tree creating voids in the flow.

Just my thoughts,

Tom

Yeah, it would be full of challenges for sure.  Interesting thought about concrete in the ground, almost like a flag pole base.  Obviously still need several guy wires.  Just running ideas through my head, as I want to do something on a big scale for 2015.  It'll be our first year in the new house and considering how crappy my display is this year I'm anxious to to big.  This idea also came partly from a local place called Stone Mountain.  They do a big Christmas celebration and they had a mega that was either a tree inside (not sure if real of fake, didn't get close enough to tell for sure). 

In reality, my new house will back up to a forest, and the "front row" of trees at the edge of my property line are a mix of deciduous and evergreen, some are at least 25-30' tall.  I could use one of those as my "pole" to do a 180 degree megatree...once I make sure the trees are sturdy and healthy.