Light-O-Rama Forums

Vampire Plugs

scuubydoo3

I've bought spool of the SPT2 cable and some vampire plugs. Everyone is right, that is a lot more convenient to make your own extensions as you go along.

Quick question...

I'm not very electrical savvy. So I'm curious if I am able to make an extension cable with a couple "slider" plugs on it for some CCR's?

So, I would be plugging 3 CCR's onto one extension cable.

If I am, is there a recommended distance between each plug that you put on the SPT2 cable?

They have 'pass through' vampire plugs now. I created my own pass through years ago for a grid I had in my yard. Those were spaced 18" apart, but that was due to the grid. I would guess that you could put them pretty close together. If it were me, I'd space them by 6-8", just because.

Depends on where you need them. Assuming you need a bunch in one spot, I would go with something like Don suggested. In my case I have 6 arches made out of CCPs so 3 controller modules. The controllers are spaced the length of two arches apart so I made a SPT-1 cable with a female outlet that far apart. There is a black trash bag that covers each controller and the plugs are ty-rapped to one of the wooden stakes that hold the controller under the trash bag.

I have 3 CCR's on a pillar. The boxes are stacked on top of each other. instead of running three extensions out to each one. I was hoping I could create one extension cable with three plugs fixed on it.

One on the end (of course) than two more plugs installed somewhere along the extension cord for the other two CCR's.

I do have two pillars on the front porch. Each has 3 CCR's. Could I run long extension cord across all 6 CCR's so I only have one plug going to them? That would be awesome!!!

Any electrical savvy types out there??

They have 'pass through' vampire plugs now. I created my own pass through years ago for a grid I had in my yard. Those were spaced 18" apart, but that was due to the grid. I would guess that you could put them pretty close together. If it were me, I'd space them by 6-8", just because.

I purchased the ones from HD which have a "knock-out" to make them pass-thru if needed.  Just made up a bunch of cords... As Don said, they can be any distance, but you want some "wiggle-room" between the plugs themselves. 

I have the "knock-out" style also. The question though, is there a limit to how many plugs you can put on one extension cord? I understand to keep them spaced out and have some "wiggle-room" between them.

No limit.

Except in that you are limited by amps. 10 amps 18/2 and 13 amps 16/2. So you're pretty safe as long as staying under controller circuit amps.

That's what I am trying to figure out. I'm not the savvy electrician and I just attended Chucks LOR Seminar where he talked a lot of specifics about it. It just totally blew me away.

I want to plug in 3-6 CCR's on one extension cord. Is that possible or would I be going over the "controller circuit amps"?

Electrically speaking their is no difference between 1inch and 6,8, 12 inches etc.... for plugging the vampire plugs in, just don't exceed the current limit of the cord or the controller.