Light-O-Rama Forums

anyone in nj wanna help my husband get started?

serenasol

Pushing to get my husband, a professional software engineer to start this holiday automated light decorating project with my boys.  He claims he can't figure out how to start programming (I find that hard to believe - He's been producing software programs for a major company for years and now he manages a large group of programmers - I think he needs someone to hold his hand to get started.  Anyone in NJ area wanna talk him through the process and how to get started? I told him to take 1 song that is 1:20 minutes to get started - just one song to get his feet wet and hang with his boys.  Anyone wanna help him out?  Thanks!

Serenasol

NJ

Suggest you post your actual city or town. This is not a plug and play hobby. It takes time and most of us are going "Live" tonight. Working in software, he'll pick it up fast but there's a lot to learn and zero time to learn it in this late.

I am nowhere near you, however,I was just going to suggest going to YouTube and watching some of the videos that are there. There are some simple tutorials on the LOR software that could be very helpful to your husband.

Download the demo software and go for it, its free.   If you decide to do a display, then you buy the software and all the hardware.

Thanks for the responses. We have been going through the Youtube videos and studying all the website info.  It is a bit overwhelming. I know you guys all went live tonight - We just plugged our little lights in and have high hopes for the coming year.  I told my husband to just work on 1 short song, focus on the software end of it and if we can get that right to start buying the hardware. But we first gotta get the easier part working before we start investing $$$.  Besides, we don't have anywhere near the amount of lights we need so I am waiting for the day after Xmas to do some damage.  

We live in Livingston, NJ  - North westish NJ - suburban area past Newark and before Morristown - next door to Short Hills. But I am working on the man right now. Thanks guys and good luck with the light shows!

Serenasol