Light-O-Rama Forums

Pex Discoloring in the Sun?

cgreenfield

Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone who has pex incorporated into there display has experienced the pex discoloring? I heard somewhere that it discolors and becomes brittle in UV light and just wanted to hear some other peoples experience with it because we are integrating pex in our display.

-Thanks, Chris-

Yes that is ture. I don t have any pex in my display but I use it at work. I have heard of uv rated pex. It may not be clear pex.

I was lazy last year and put my strips and plex in the back yard (south side of house). Was out there for the better part of the summer. Then all last year in the display for about 45 days. Still flexible and no change in color. I bought the 10' straight sections from Home Depot. So, I cant comment on what others might get from different sources.

One year at this point with pex.  enclosed my CCR's for the Arches and no discoloration at all.  These set outside over the year and in a semi shaded area and no problems.  I used 3/4 inch pex to enclose the ribbons, but if I had it to do over I would use 1 inch.

As you can see, everyone has about the same response about pex. and i hope it helps, a little info on pex, the discoloration and brittleness that they report about are from people that use it for the purpose that it was intended for

however they took it to the extreme with it. for ex, over pressure limits will cause it to stretch causing it to split or just small cracks, also with the stretching causes the colors to fade. kinda like a balloon, if you stretch a dark blue balloon 

it becomes lighter in color, the same with the pex. hope you see where im getting at. So for what you intend to use it for, i see no problem with using pex. only advice i can give is when using clear pex, i would make sure that i sealed off both ends of the tube so that moisture does not get in. any kind of moisture will cause oxidation ( a film ) on the inside over time.  Hope this helps

Dennis   

If you want straight pieces, don't buy the coiled pex, you will never get it straight.  (That's why I have a 100 foot coil laying in my back yard for two years.)

Thank you everyone for the replies. Sounds like most of you are using them for leaping arches with CCRs inside them, I should have mentioned that we are actually using ours for snowflakes and 2D mini Trees with Dumb RGB Nodes stuck in holes drilled into the back. This makes it more difficult to keep moisture out because of the holes for the nodes. Hopefully I will get around to posting pictures of the snowflakes and trees at some point in the near future.

-Chris-

If you want straight pieces, don't buy the coiled pex, you will never get it straight.  (That's why I have a 100 foot coil laying in my back yard for two years.)

Amen to that one! I have a bunch of 12 foot pieces I was going to use for my pixel tree, but could not get straightened out. Might use some for some rings next year...

I am using PEX for arches, but using CCPs drilled into the back side. The bottom is open as it sits over the rebar in the ground that the arches are mounted to.

• The topic was locked