Light-O-Rama Forums

if you build it they will come?

Ebuechner

Kind of off subject, how do people handle too much traffic? Just bought new home in much bigger upper scale neighborhood. I was happy with a few hundred cars a night last few years. I was outside doing interview with local news tonight who has been documenting whole process of setting up display for last month and wow... There were several hundred cars in less than an hour when I was outside. Luckily 20-30 cars can park and watch display! Its only the 4th.... I'm scared to see my street in a week or two. Traffic control?

I know of a neighborhood in S. Calif. that the whole street participates and the street is actually closed off except to pedestrians to stroll along, watch and listen to the lights and meet the homeowners. Police insure the barriers are up and etc...no clue who's paying them though.

just moved my transmitter sign tonight to a better location. I've seen a lot more people slow down and some stop to watch. I think some of my problem was people didn't see the sign in the other location. without the music its just a lot of flashing lights

Flashing lights are no good if people aren't listening to the music.  I have to get my other tune to sign out.   I still gotta figure out this traffic thing..  I came home tonight to 50+ people in front of my house camping out, chairs, icechests, portable stereos to listen to music, plus a line of cars down the street.  I built it.. they are coming!  I've already pissed off one neighbor across the street that can never pull in the driveway.  People need to be a little more respectful...  The mayor lives 5 houses down the street and I've got numerous friends in local law enforcement.  I'm going to see what they have to say.  My 9 year old son is already making a fortune selling hot apple cider.  No free-loading entitled kids in my house.  He goes around car to car handing out free candy canes in his Santa outfit and offers people hot cider for $.50.  This is the first year I have been outside with my family on a nightly basis and it makes it all worth while.  The feedback has been incredible.  I urge everyone to be involved with display.  Don't put it up and hide in the house.  People really want to learn about what goes into it and how it all works.  Three nights outside this year have been more gratifying than the last 10 years sitting in the house.  I am in Santa Barbara California area where it was pushing 80 degrees today. This makes things a little easier for me than you folks in colder areas.... 

Santa Barbara is certainly a beautiful town in a great location. 10 points for you to insure the kids participate out there. Wish it was warm like that here but its not and oh well. It was down in the lower 40's here last night which isn't too bad. Will be handing out candy-canes this coming weekend.

to reiterate what has already been said "if you build it they will come".  Not much if any LOR displays in Kearney, NE.  I may be the first, first people in the condo came out to look the asked "turn the music up so we can watch from our condo's", that was a first.  So far we are averaging 8 cars a night in a very tight condo subdivision.

Apparently here at my home, word has gotten out being this is my 3rd year. I think I've only looked outside a couple of times when there was no one out there watching. The rest of the time, people are lined up. The night before last, 10pm, show is shutting down and three cars still out there, waiting for Frozen. I told them I'd run the two songs manually, which I did, then waved good night too them. They left with smiles!