Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller and Timer

CBirnley

The documentation from LOR has, occasionally, been for older units and setups. The documentation that I received this month for a new Mini was for the older one.

My documentation and Controller kit included a "green" wire that had RJ-11 connectors.. It was used to connect the computer to the Controller for original setup and control. The controller itself has 3 connectors. One RJ-11 and 2 CAT-5.

If you  connect the RJ-11 to one of the CAT-5 receptacles, the controller heats up. This is bad. You don't want to let the smoke out of the Controller.

That said, set power on/off to the Mini and FM transmitter, not the Controller to start/stop a show.

You can find a power supply here http://www.amazon.com/9V-DC-Power-Adapter-Supply/dp/B004LX146Q . See if you have a friend with a voltmeter, or pick one up at harbor freight or Lowes or Home Depot to determine which lead is +. (The cheapest one will work fine). Cut the connector off of the end of the power supply (NOT the 110 volt plug), peel off the insulation from a 1/8" on each lead, separate the peeled leads, plug in, check for + with the meter, and connect to the Mini as shown in the directions.

I just bought the mDM-MP3 mini director.  I have it hooked by CAT cable to the first controller. (I have 4 controllers) I want to use a timer to control the power.  When the power was turned off to the first controller, the show kept going.  It said to connect the green cable to the first controller but I did not get a green cable withthe unit.

I would have no idea how to connect an external power source.  It talks about positive and negative leads from a 9 volt DC power supply.  Where do I get that? It talks about a power jumper. Do I need to take that out?

What are my other options? Thank you!

Welcome aboard Tom. Noticed it was your first post.

From another member here.

Tom

HI all - thanks for the help.  So here is where we are.  We created the special cable but nowhere did it say to connect between controller 1 and 2.  So we connected it between the director and controller 1.  Now, the controller will not work.  We put back the original cables and still nothing.  The utility hardware won't find it.  The red light is blinking.  But it willl not accept the show from the computer or from the director.  Any ideas?  It is an older unit 160 15 amp. My thought is that the center  RJ45 went out

One of the Cat5 connectors (there are 2 in each Controller) will connect from Controller 1 to Controller 2. Another  Cat5 cable will run from either Controller 1 or Controller 2 to the Director. All of the Cat5 connectors and wires become common, so the Director can be plugged into any unused Controller.