Light-O-Rama Forums

Dedications and Donations?

Ebuechner

I have a sister with lung cancer I would like to dedicate my show to her and see about getting donations to help her through the holidays. My question is what have other people done to achieve this. And any positives or negatives for doing such a thing. or is this a bad idea?

Be aware of legal entanglements.

If you benefit from using copy protected music. You can be sued for not paying royalties. Now if you took the donations to a Cancer group like Susan G. Komen. No problem as I know it.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and I did not sleep at Holiday Inn last night.

Max is right. The legal entanglements might cost you more than you take in.

I'm from the been-there club, and I know that there are no words to console you for what your sister and your entire family is going through. But I think it's a terrible idea.

I like people leaving my display with their heart lighter, not heavier. If you ask your sister, I'm thinking she might say the same thing.

I agree taking in donations for private is a very slippery slope. We started taking donations for charities a few years ago. Only when people kept coming to the door insisting on giving us something. So we decided to give to a great cause. 

Our next door neighbor lost their granddaughter to cancer when she was 5. It was her wish that every kid that had to spend christmas in the hospital had a present. So they started  River of Hope. We take the cash donations along with a set amount from us and let our kids pick out gifts for the kids at the hospital- as they know more of what they would like then us adults do. Its a win win. The donations go to a good cause and our kids learned at a young age to help others and think of others in need.

Our kids are 5 and 7 and enjoy doing this every year. We toyed with the idea of taking toy donations or food donations for food bank but weather here makes it difficult to accomplish. And most people dont carry new toys for donations with them. And even pennies and nickles add up.

Sorry to hear your sister is battling cancer. We have had our fair share of family members winning and losing that battle. Know exactly what you are going thru. The biggest thing is stay positive. And maybe use the donations to go to cancer research in your sisters name. I think she would love that as well and you wouldnt have to worry about what other people would think, say or do if you just gave her the money. Its unfortunate but these are things we have to worry about.

Sorry for being so long. Thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

Sorry I tend to be very very practical. I do feel bad for your sister and you have my hope and prayers that she is cured of her cancer. And she is around for many more years.