Light-O-Rama Forums

First Test of the Season

dgrant

So how did your first test go? I ran three songs last night and only saw two mini-trees that didn't work and I already know what's wrong with them and will fix them this morning. All else, megatrees, pixel tree, firesticks and all the normal props, roof lines, bushes and etc...looked real nice! The grandkids didn't want to leave but it was flipping cold outside....brrr.

My test went pretty good for what I have up and connected (mega tree, mega arch, icicles, snowflakes, roofline). I have the mini trees to set out this weekend (when it thaws a little and if it doesn't snow). Then hopefully making leaping arches if time permits.

I'm ahead of schedule because I keep making improvements each year for faster setup. And having a plan in place for the bad weather (keeping an eye on the weather forecast).

So all in all, my tests went great.

And yes, flipping cold. 80 degrees on Monday to 40 degrees with lots of wind yesterday.

Glad to hear yours went good as well.

No final test yet as RGB mega tree, 2 arches and floods still left to setup and wire. Dropped 30 degrees in one day. Hope this weekend to finish, then test, hoping all the pre-testing done prior to assembly was worth it......it usually is. Good luck all!

Ran my first test the other night. Only had the RGB's on my door frame that I have to work on this week. Only had about the first 3' of RGB's that would light. Have to figure out what is wrong. Worse case, I have to change out the whole RGB ribbon. Bought the 8 pack from LOR but only used 6 of the RGB strips. So I do have that to fall back on. I did hook up a couple of the window frames for the test as I had to order some extensions. Should be getting them soon. Hope I don't have more problems. My fault that I didn't test when I made the frames. Live and learn.

I just discovered I forgot to test my single CCR out in the yard. Set up a test pattern and went out to verify it was working....it was not. I never connnected it! I had moved it a bit too far away from its controller in attempt to balance out the yard better therefore the cable didn't reach. So just a bit ago, I extended that cable, connected it...finally...lol, ran the test pattern and it was working perfectly. The mini-trees that I repaired earlier, I just ran all of them just now and they too work!. Lastly, I just bagged all of the controllers with contractor's trash bags, secured those with velcro straps....all in hopes of protecting them from rain, snow and ice. Its cold outside so there shouldn't be any issues with heat now.

I start my display just like Clark Griswold....all 512 channels and 100K lights are fired up the night I start the display. We invite friends and neighbors for a party and it is advertised among them as a "Clark Griswold Christmas". In the past there have been mistakes but not many of the attendees picked up on them until I pointed them out.

kevinkolak.com

Edited by Archer

I'm running a special show, just a couple of songs, on the 24th for a guest coming here for Thanksgiving. I already ran a 3 song show for  the grandkids and they loved it. So the whole system is in "hot standby" waiting for the computer to command it. I leave the controllers on 24/7.

Not a good start. One unit has problems and had a channel staying one constant and also the ones daisy chained to it were not working either. May be two problems with the unit. Well crap. Have another unit to swap out and try today. Hope it works.

Check the small wire fingers inside of the RJ45 connectors at the problem unit and the one that feeds to it. Those small fingers can be pushed in and cause a loss of communications.

We fired up the 75% of our display that is wired and everything went pretty well except for 4 of our 8 arches. Forgot I had an accident with them last year(my son had to remind me). Two were fixed but the other two I am just going to start over and re-wrap.

We had our first test light minus strobes and candy cane spinners but everything that is up and ready looks great found a few glitches in the sequences that are already fixed :) just awaiting 1000' spt2 to come in and im going to work on the strobes!!!

When I ran my first test, I saw a minor mis-alignment of my pixel tree so yesterday, I got up there and re-adjusted it. Hopefully it looks better. Thanksgiving night, 6Pm sharp, the computer kicks off the first real show of the season!

Well, I just ran the first test of most of the hardware. I don't have the 220 GE Color Effects bulbs on the eves yet, and one string along the top of a wall, but everything else is setup and supposed to be operational. After doing a few tests with the hardware utility on the newly built CCP arches, I built a show consisting of one song and did a show on demand as that was really the easiest way to test it all. Went outside and other than a couple pixels in my arches that had come loose (and I knew about since I installed the arches today and I'll fix on Tuesday), it was PERFECT! I was totally jazzed that not only did all the lights work, but my old and slow show computer had no problem driving almost 4700 channels. Just for good measure, about a minute before the show shut down, one of my next door neighbor neighbors and his wife came home and gave me a thumbs up as they6 drove by and then told me how cool it looked. Nice having all the neighbors supportive!

Ran a test show on Saturday with all sequences.  Went well, had three cars stop during the test -- one came back three times.  Since everything is up and ready, I may just start my regular show schedule tonight or tomorrow.

22 here this morning....glad I got mine done and ready to run before it got this cold! Might have to put on thermals, gloves and a jacket like you!

All lights up and first test successful. Man these new RGB dumb ribbons from LOR are super bright. May need to turn them down....Did I really say that??

To cold here to finish my display and test. Its 68 degrees and overcast brrr. Ill have to wait till it warms up to finish and test :D

Same here!  Was 41 degrees this morning!  Need to dig my parka out of moth balls!

• The topic was locked