Light-O-Rama Forums

Garage Christmas Light Gremlin

Jim Hans

Begin vent....... I test and clean all my lights before I store them for the year making repairs over the summer. Tonight I wanted to get up some wireframes after work before dark. As always I tested them before I took them out. On two of the deer, half the LEDs were out! What insidious gremlin sneaks in during the summer and breaks my lights? Needless to say no wire frames got up tonight as it was repair time.... Another night lost........ End of vent.

Do you have an LED keeper?

I do. It's not the supplies or ability to repair.... It's that darn gremlin that's frustrating.

I stared years ago saving and collecting the large cans pop corn is sold in as well as coffee cans with the closable tops, folgers etc, put lights etc. in them and tape around it when I store them.

I have some lights that I have had for going on 8 years this way and seems to help stop them from corroding so soon from the moisture in the air. I save all my coffee cans and also have friends and family saving there's for me.

It makes it hard for the grimlins to get to my lights because they do not like unsealing the cans.

• 2 weeks later...

I do agree Gremlins are lazy and won't open sealed cans, but the corrosion started while the lights were on display and then continued while they were stored. Unless they were vacuum sealed, I am afraid there is no way around it.

If you had a sealed container(s) for the lights, then you could purge the air with nitrogen if you had a tank. That would be better than vacuum in this case. Vacuum causes some items to outgass.

My damn gremlins stole some lights! i bought some on clearance last year and now they are gone. Cant find them any where. I dont have a use for them right now but would like those gremlins to return them for next years ideas...lol

I think the gremlin delivered them here I have lights I don't remember buying. do you want to describe you're missing lights

Edited by Ebuechner

Ebuechner- with you being only 1.5 hours away that is possible...lol. Just incase there was about 6 boxes of 70 count pink LED and 6 boxes of 70 count purple LED. Was going to add another color or 2 to our 6 mini trees but ran out of time and now have a backup control box for this year.

sorry dude that doesn't match what I've got. But if I catch the gremlin I'll ask him where your stuff is. but I've got the opposite problem extra lights but no controller but I didn't sequence for it either. I'll check my gremlin trap again tomorrow and keep you posted