Light-O-Rama Forums

Does the Software Contain Any Security Features?

daniel

Ok, I have read a little about people selling their LOR systems w/software. First off, the software is not cheap, its $70+.

Ok, lets say I have my LOR system that I want to sell. However, I sell my copy the software for $65, but I keep the installer. So technically I still have the software and I can get those free updates.

So I was thinking, why not do the software like most other big online comapanys (most anti virus software). How about a free fully-functional download
that expires in a week and a key-code that must be plugged in to activate the software to continue using it. Codes can change every year and new ones can be retrieved online. The online thing can be set-up so that it asks for a personal thing (ex. CC# or SS#) something that the user would not give out if the software was re-sold.

I honestly think the Light-O-Rama company should look into some form of software security so they do not keep on loosing $100s each year. (You know people are doing it now...)

I also thought that it would be neat to have the controllers set to only work with one version of the software, or something like WEP security for wifi (but wired). So if my neighbor had a LOR show, and decided to take my controller, it would not work because it is set to only work with my computer encryption code.

As more and more people start this hobby, and you read about so many displays being vandalized/robbed, I personally would pay extra to get some kind of security features out.

--Daniel L

Dan's already mentioned that the production version of LOR II will be on some sort of subscription/licensing service...

-Tim

I agree. the sw issue like Tim said is already in the works from what Dan has put out, in fact the gamma LORII is to expire in 6 months. sw security is to be in place some time in the first of the year.

I would like to see security of my investment also by only allowing my controller to work for me by means of a password or something and the ability to flash them with with my information in a small area of their memory and that would be password protected as well. and unless i remove it to sell them and then who ever i sold them to could use them, but not until i gave them my blessing so to speak.

edited for spelling

I was thinking about a "hardware lock" the other day myself, but I'm not sure how much of a detriment it would be. Most likely, people would grab it, and not realize there was a hardware lock... and they're not exactly going to just bring it back to you upon that realization...

I'm not sure how well this would retrofit into existing controllers either. Right now, a reset clears all user settings back to factory standards... And I'm not sure what a firmware download would do to it either... Besides, over half of my controllers are the lowly CTB-08's and those don't retrofit well...

I'm personally a lot more worried about vandalism than theft... But it takes all kinds...

All good ideas though!

-Tim

I see what your saying also and had thought of some of that. Not sure if any of the controller they use now could be retrofitted.

I would like knowing that if someone did take mine that they would never be able to use it since i would not be able to either. If that was their purpose in taking them.

Vandals also worry me and i am trying to prevent that as much as i can, although a dog got 2 inflatables a few days ago, 1 fixable 1 was not. got him on video. a little off the mark here but i will throw it in anyway. He has been caught and relocated.

Sorry about your inflatables, but I did chuckle a little watching that! Who would have thought...

-Tim

Glad you got a laugh, thats why i put it on there, and to also enlighten others as there is more than thieves and vandals out there. My wife said there was no way a dog did that, til i showed her the video.

Another problem with any kind of security like that is that you can usually "social engineer" your way out of it. For example, our Honda that we just traded in had a "secret code" that you had to enter in the radio if it ever lost power. The dealer made a big deal about how we could NEVER lose that code, or our radio wouldn't work and we'd be SOL.

According to the Honda forum I used to be a member of, though, you could practically just call a dealership, give them your VIN, and they'd happilly give you the unlock code. On a bad day you might have to make up a sob story about how your wife lost the card and you needed the code right away because you were going off on a trip the next day, yadda yadda. They don't want to PO a customer so they give it to you... Which sort of defeats the purpose of it existing in the first place...

-Tim

Yes so true, i gues unless you want to spend so much more money than everything is worth you could build a system to work but all systems can be defeated and will only work on the mild theif. So they may not be worth implementing. LOR would really have no way of knowing if you sold it and the person could lie about all off it putting LOR in the middle and as you say they dont want a po'ed customer.

Maybe there is something in the middle that would help, I will have to think a bit more about it.