Light-O-Rama Forums

leaping archs with ccr

clueless67

Well, you can use the CCR as one arch. It gets sequenced like anything else but its much more powerful. Take a look at SuperStar. Remember, you are sequencing 3 colors on each of 50 LED's, therefore 150 channels and they can be any color you wish, individually

so one strip lights has 50 lights needing 150 chanals . then why is lor selling 8 ribbons and one 24 chanal controller ? im was thinking one ribbon 3 chanals for a total of 24 chanals wow was I wrong that will add up fast for 4 acrhs that is 600 chanals . will superstar sequence that for me also ?

Ok, you need some definitions here. The 8-Ribbon package with the CMB24 controller, are RGB ribbons with a DC controller which are called "Dumb" ribbons. On those, the entire ribbon lights up, but only one color...any color you wish, but all one color. Each ribbon can be controlled separately therefore each of the 8 can be different colors, but again, each ribbon will be only one color. Therefore 24 channels, 3 for each color, times 8 ribbons.

A CCR or Cosmic Color Ribbon is an "Intelligent" device. Each RGB led on them, 50 per strip, is indviduallly addressable. Therefore you can do an arch or in combination with many of them together, you can show animation or whatever you wish. They have their own controller and each CCR has 50-3-channel RGB leds, therefore 150 channels.

ok thank you I know now that dumb ribbons are a lot different than ccr . when I add the ccr in my soft ware I add 1 controller at a time? if I have 4 acrhs =4controllers =600 channels .

CCRs are really nice because you can use them in whatever way you wish but of course they cost more for that capability. I own only one but wish I had a bunch and I would if the price was cheaper. The one I bought was for a specific tune, Judy Garland's "Over the Rainbow" from the Wizard of Oz movie. I use it for a meteor with trailing tail and I accelerate as it passes across the arch. I use it for other songs too. Now the really cool things you can do is a CCR tree because if you have 12 or 16, you can display animation! To save money only, I went with a 12 string pixel tree this year instead of CCR's. CCR's would have cost me $3,000 but everything for a pixel tree was about $700. I won't get quite the same effect but close enough.

I might, next year, consider buying strips of 6803 leds which is what the CCR's supposedly are, another power supply and I've got lots of channels/universes left on my JoshuSystems P12S card...so I might try them but time will tell. This is my first year for a pixel tree, so learning as I go.

Yes, you add the CCR as a device, which will put in all the channels for you. You still need to address it via the HWU, Hardware Utility to whatever address you chose when you added it.

Edited by dgrant

I found some smart 60 led ccr on holidaycore what need now is controller that has 180 channels that will work with lor software anyone know where I can get 1 or 4 of them cause making 4 leaping acrhs thanks for the help