Light-O-Rama Forums

Display barrier/fence that will work for Xmas and Halloween?

lowepg

So my display has gotten a LOT more traffic lately.

Previously, I didn't need to worry too much about people on the lawn, but now, it's becoming an issue.

I've seen a lot of strategies that use lit candy canes- and they look great - for Xmas ;-).

I'd really like to find something I can use for both Halloween and Xmas. Any ideas?

For reference, we live on a corner lot- so it's also a pretty long perimeter I'd need to cover, about 150 feet- and that's JUST covering the perimeter along the street (not up the driveway).

I buy a bundle of lathe from a lumber supply place, cut them in half to use as stakes, put a screw in the top of each stake and string lights as a border.  It's inexpensive and pretty effective.  Most people won't step over the border.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not have that problem where I am now living but in the past for my regular display I stacked up a couple building block bricks, 

the ones with the holes commonly used for building walls and block buildings, painted 10 ft 4X4 and put them in and just made a fence around my yard with it. also used it to help keep people out of my grave yard Halloween display. you can add lights to it if you want or paint it white, or whatever color you want to.

I had it included as part of my display like a corral area for my heard of light up  wire frame deer.

you can also make a  fairly cheap fence frame using PVC and double for Halloween for a black fence etc. just by painting it.  a lot of plans for Halloween fences are available if you google it or look on u tube for DIY PVC Halloween Prijects.

I buy 1/2" emt pipe at Home Depot, cut in half into 2 5 foot

Sections. Hammer them every 7 to 8 feet around the yard. Then place the place unlit candy canes from Walmart over them. Drill a 1/4 hole in each and use zip ties to string rope lights around the yard. Keep "most" people out. There's always someone who feels they need to walk around in the yard no matter what you put up

I used white 4ft long sched 40 PVC pipes, bought 4 way splitters and cut holes into them using a hole saw, added 4 1ft legs and wrapped red electrical tape around the 4ft's to make candy cane stands. I then took a T piece and cut a section out of the top with the sawsall. Then I made a bundle of RGBW strings and built a perimeter with that. Does the trick for the xmas display and for halloween I used them as barriers for the lineup for the haunted house we did.

• 5 months later...

I had the same issues with traffic and I live on a corner lot with a lot of walking traffic...I bought the 3ft Green metal posts from LOWES for wire fencing and some Rope..100ft lenght. After placing the posts  I wrapped the rope around ever few feet. So the rope ended up being about 3 ft off the gound and worked out perfectly with minimum expense and was easy to install.

We rarely have a problem with people in the display. Our city helps out a great deal by plowing the snow on the street into a nice neat pile all along the front of our property (as well as the neighbor's).  :D