Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter

Para

I know this question has been asked before, but technology now-a-days improves quicker than the weather changes,

What is a "good" FM transmitter to get. I say good because i want to get one that has good distance, output quality and will last.

Thanks

I use the EDM-RDS. Its a bit more pricey than some of the others but so far, its worked beautifully. To keep out of the FCC's eyes/ears, it only broadcasts only about a block in distance which is all that I need and more. Any farther and the FCC issues come into play. Your term of "Distance" becomes the issue depending on your requirements vs the legalities. 

• 3 weeks later...

I use the EDM-RDS. Its a bit more pricey than some of the others but so far, its worked beautifully. To keep out of the FCC's eyes/ears, it only broadcasts only about a block in distance which is all that I need and more. Any farther and the FCC issues come into play. Your term of "Distance" becomes the issue depending on your requirements vs the legalities. 

For FCC - anything less than 200 ft is deemed legal (I think). Over 200, and they'll be knocking on your door. Typically, I wouldn't expand it further than that unless the display is far larger than so. At any rate, placing the transmitter as close to the middle of your display is beneficial. At the least, look up laws/regulations in your city/residence/area so that you are aware of your abilities: though it might mean scaling down or finding a new alternative to your display, avoiding trouble with the FCC is primary concern. GL!

this is the unit I use ( http://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Broadcast-Transmitter-Antenna-Fashion/dp/B00C91NAEG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416028766&sr=1-3&keywords=home+fm+transmitters ) works great, during this last Halloween show I was hearing the broadcast in my car a little over a mile away, granted it was static by then, but for a good 4 square blocks it was crystal clear.