Light-O-Rama Forums

Using EMT for Superstar and/or Weber Tree

gmacw

For the last four years I've built my superstar tree the way Brian B. showed it on the superstar site using double lengths of rope per each of the 12 CCRs that make up the tree (yes, I do use wire perpendicular to the rope for support). Unfortunately due to the NorEaster storms I get in the Boston area, the wind breaks one of the CCRs every year so I'm constantly buying backup ribbons.

This year I wanted to try something more rigid and have seen a couple people using EMT tubing instead of the rope.

My question is What do you use for the structure for your superstar tree?

What are thoughts on using EMT?  

Does anyone use EMT to build a 10' Weber spiral tree at all (thinking of this to)?

Thanks for your input!

I can't speak for a CCR Tree, but I can for a Spiral. I use a rigid center pole (1-1/4" black iron pipe) on my Spiral Tree with a Christmas Light Show hook head at the top. Then for each of the 16 hooks, I use 1/8" aircraft cable to a base ring. That gives the tree shape and allows me to lay the light to the cable, and secure with zip ties. EMT could work, I think depending on how many uprights you had, the top would get congested with pipes even if you use 1/2" EMT. The wind blows right through the tree this was with less resistance.

EMT overall is great, but you have to evaluate what you are wanting to do against your plan and then Mother Nature.

As an FYI, I wrote a precision bending how-to for EMT, it is posted on my website. All my rings are EMT and bent using that methodology.

I used PVC conduit (not EMT) and unistrut for the frame of my Superstar tree. Pictures in my link below.  I used U bolts to fasten the unistrut to the pole. It has held up nicely here in Ohio.

Steve