Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR network support DMX

BRANDON43

Being a newbie, I know my question must have been asked a million times. However I can not get a straight answer. My question will be very simple for some..

I have a LOR network with 7 controllers that are PC controlled. I have a standard LOR RS 485 converter from the computer and daisy to the LOR controllers. I plan on utilizing DMX to support my RGB floods which will be controller 8. My question is can I modify a standard RS 485 cable from LOR to DMX and JUST plug in to a DMX controller with no other hardware?

Thanks,

RS485 and DMX are two different animals. You'll need some sort of converter/adapter or interface. I think I saw something at holidaycoro that might do this otherwise SanDevices or JoshuaSystems cards can but it'll be via E1.31.

Enttec makes a DMX dongle...you might look at those too.

Edited by dgrant

Actual you can...but I personally wouldn't. Your LOR controllers can accept DMX protocol and the LOR adapter (USB-RS485) can output Raw DMX but its a bit buggy. I know some that use it in this way. I've personally tried it and has worked sometimes and others, 1 channel off. If you want your whole network to be in dmx, I would get one of the dongles dgrant suggested. Safer.

Or run the LOR controllers with the adapter you have now and your 8th controller in DMX using a different dongle. You can run both protocols at the same time, but on different networks....separate cables. But then again, you could run on the same cable. LOR uses pins 4/5 and DMX 1/2. But I rather keep them separated.

Brandon have you considered using light o Rama cmb24d controller it will give 8 rgb channels that's 8 flood lights and get hooked up as a regular controller

If I choose to run the LOR controllers with the adapter I presently have and the 8th controller on DMX network, should I split the networks between the computer and the LOR Adapter? Or can the it be installed between controllers 7 and 8.

Yes I have considered the LOR cmb24d controller and If I can't get this figured out that will be the ticket.

Please excuse my naiveness on DMX, I get the universe of 512 channels, but the dongles is confusing..

Thanks,

DMX is both simple and complex to me. I am going radically different this year due to limited sequencing time. I will be using two controllers with a DMXKing dongle straight DMX. Software is Madrix. I have tested this and it works.  Just have to set it up full scale to see if I will do it again after 2014.  

One question that may help others as well... I have two controllers now, if I add a third and use the RJ45 to DMX cable (LOR) can I do so between controller 3 and 4?

So 2 controllers LOR and the third hanging off of 2 would be DMX only.  What say you gurus of LOR? 

DMX King dongle works great, price is great... shipping from New Zealand, not so great (have to wait).  

Brandon and zeighty....both your questions are the same. Wondering if can go from LOR to DMX between or after controllers on the same cable....No.

Each are separate. Cant be combine or connected together. You would need an LOR adapter from the PC (UBS port) to the LOR controllers...and then a completely separate DMX dongle (if the word dongle confuses you...it's another USB adapter for DMX) from your PC ( different USB port) to the DMX device.

The LOR and DMX protocols are completely separate and they should not connect together. However, you can run both at the same time from the same PC...just out of different ports.