Light-O-Rama Forums

newbi just starting out

clueless67

hi im john I live adams Wisconsin im currently using a menard spiecal lights to sound system. not happy with it anymore so im going with lor but I don't have clue where to start i thinking rgb right off the bat but again no clue what i need or how to program or what componets i need to do this  any help would greatly appreciate thank you

LOR packages are a great way to start.

http://store.lightorama.com/rese16chstpa.html

http://store.lightorama.com/rgbdevices.html

I personally haven't gone RGB yet.

I started with WowLights LOR package and built from there.

http://wowlights.com/ProductListSub.asp?Category=20&Sub=13

At this late in the year, the packages shown above is about your only chance with premade sequences. RGB come in two flavors, dumb and intelligent. Dumb strips are where the entire strip lights up as one, with any color and you can change the color, fading, twinkles, shimmers and so on. It is a CMB24 DC controller from LOR but it also requires a 12 VDC power supply and if you are mounting outside, you'll need an enclosure for weather and probably a stand to hang it on.

For intelligent strips/strings such as pixels, CCR's, CCP's and etc, each lamp contains 3 LED's and each is individually addressable therefore chasing, animation along with fading, twinkle and shimmering are all possible. They cost more but they are pretty nice. If you purchase LOR's CCR's, CCP's or CCB's, they'll come with everything you need other than an enclosure. If you purchase pixels to save money, you'll need a controller card such as the JoshuaSystems P12S/X card or the San Devices card. Both cards require power supplies to power them and the strips. They run on E1.31 communication protocol which is easier to do than it sounds like and it is supported by the LOR software.

For any of these, I suggest the advanced license up front. Best thing is to watch videos of forum members displays, then make a plan of what you wish to light up and how, on your house. That'll dictate the hardware requirements. Sequencing itself takes time. This is not a plug and play hobby. The nice part though is when you light it up for the first time, not only will your family be surprised and impressed, so you will be as well. Normally to start a show plan from the beginning, we start in January and by Thanksgiving, we're light it up for the holidays. 

Edited by dgrant

Hey John,

From Trempealeau County here in Wisconsin.  If you want to get the show running for this Christmas the only viable choice you have is get the starter package and ready to go sequences from LOR or WOW lights.  Even then, depending on the time you have you may be hard pressed to get a show running, it can be done but time is a serious concern. 

im  thinking after I see all the stuff that has to be done starting after this Christmas would be the way to go now but buy some stuff now when it is on sale . where to buy whole sale rgb or led lights is my step after lor package .

The advantage to waiting will be the sales early next year, especially for the lights. Holiday Lights Express or CDI are a couple of the better vendors. For any of the LOR controllers, wait until the summer sale. They have a mad grab sale earlier in the year but quantities are limited. One of the starter packages may work for you if you wish to get started immediately. Know most of you time will be spent sequencing. Good luck!

Most of us start planning for a show, in January. That goes for those who have been doing this for years or people just starting out. Start with a plan or like in my case, start with a photo of your home, printed out or several copies of it. On the photo, draw your strings in that you wish to control and how you wish to have them appear, as in a color or RGB colors and etc... this will dictate your hardware requirements. Be sure to consider FM radio transmission if needed, signs for the "tune to" frequency and so on. Once your master plan is either on paper, in your head or whatever, go to the sequence editor and start assigning channels based upon what you are ordering, have already and so on. Be sure to Export the hardware list to a file. Its under the Edit pulldown/Export/Import Hardware Configuration. As you add to that, keep saving to that file. Once you have that file with all the intended hardware channels, you can then open the Visualizer, import your photo of the house into it, then import that hardware list into the Visualizer too. Then draw the same strings, assign types and etc... Doing this will allow you to begin sequencing while your hardware is on order. Sequencing takes the most time depending on the number of channels you are doing. Most of what I've read in here, the average is about 3 hours of sequencing for 1 minute of music. Many are much faster than that. You'll need to acquire the music of your choice, legally of course. While listening to the song, get a picture in your head of the strings that will be outside and how you wish to control them. Start sequencing! The Visualizer will allow you to see the results immediately and Yes, the actual hardware will respond the same when you receive it and connect it.

Hardware: If you are running wirelessly, be sure to get the USB/RS485 adapter that is for ELL's, along with the ELL's. I've already talked about hardware up above. Everything depends on how and where you'll be setting things up at your house. If you live in a neighborhood, talk to your neighbors and let them know up front. Best to have them on your side. If in an HOA/POA, be sure to let them know too....again, best to have them on your side.