Light-O-Rama Forums

CMD24D Connection Problem

tanganyikawp

I finally got everything I needed (I think) for the new RGB elements.  I am using a mix of dumb floods and ribbons with the CMB24D.  When I connect to my LOR network (cat5e with USB adapter), it only finds the LOR controllers and none of the CMB24D controllers.  I plugged into one of the CMB24D controllers directly and it finds it. 

I checked the jumpers and they are all set for LOR network.

I have the dip switches set to 5, 6 & 7.  (I have 4 LOR controllers)

Any suggestions?

Matt

Let's see if I understand... If you set your daisy chain of controllers up as....

computer===RS-485===== Cat 5===== CMB24D== Cat 5 ===LOR Unit 1 === Cat 5 === LOR Unit 2 == Cat 5 == Etc. 

It is finding all 4 LOR units but not the CMB24D?   Where in the daisy chain do you have the CMB24D?  Try putting it first.  does it find it?  Now add another controller/  does it find the two?  If yes, keep going until all are hooked up or until it stops finding the last one added... could be a bad cat 5. 

So chain is as follows:

LOR Unit 1 w/ MP3 Director === Cat5 === LOR 2 === Cat5 === LOR 3 === Cat5 === CMB24D === Cat5 === CMB24D === Cat5 === LOR 4 === Cat5 === CMD24D === Cat5 === RS-485 === computer

Use the the showtime director to run the show, but the computer to test hardware & sequences.  The only way I could register more than one controller was to hook the computer up at the end of the chain.  I hope that is correct.

I reassigned the dip switches so all the controllers are assigned based on their position in the chain.

Edited by tanganyikawp

It sounds like you have all the CMB24 addresses set the same...is that what you wanted? To control each of them identically? If not, each switch represents a binary address. Address 5 is switches 7 & 9. Address 6 is switches 7 & 8, Address 7 is switches 7, 8, 9. Someone please correct me as I don't have a controller in front of me to examine closely. I'm looking at the manual for it and the switch picture is way too small to read.

Switches 5,6,7 would give you address LOR 1C

Edited by dgrant
  • Like 1

And if you don't have an Advanced License, you'll need to get the CMB24D addresses under 08, otherwise they won't be controlled by your software.

I want each controller to be different. Right now I have them set as follows:

(Assumes the switches for the LOR are 2 - 9; based on looking at the controller the DMX switches are 1 - 8)

CMB24D 1 - Unit 4 - Switches 2,3

CMB24D 2 - Unit 5 - Switches 4 (pictured below)

CMB24D 3 - Unit 7 - Switches 3,4

It seems as if you are starting from right to left on the switches. Is that what I am doing wrong?

Also, I have the advanced license.

Matt

Edited by tanganyikawp

Don-

What do you reference to know the switch settings on the controller based on the unit ID?  The third CMB24D controller should be unit 7. 

Also, should switch number one be in the on position (up)?

Matt

Don-

What do you reference to know the switch settings on the controller based on the unit ID?  The third CMB24D controller should be unit 7. 

Also, should switch number one be in the on position (up)?

Matt

Page 19 and 20 from the manual. (PDF) Unless you are running DMX, switch 1 should be off (down)

Ok, have them all set based on the manual.  I had maxed the unit ID search and it found 2 of the controllers:

Unit 4 - set to 4 (switch 7) - No Show

Unit 5 - Set to 5 (switches 7,9) - found at 60

Unit 7 - set to 7 (switches 7,8,9) - found at E0

???

Edited by tanganyikawp

Sure it's not reversed? Put the RJ45 jacks to the RIGHT, and the power terminals to your LEFT.

Now looking at the dip switches, #1 is on your LEFT.

May want to snap a picture of it and show us.

So chain is as follows:

LOR Unit 1 w/ MP3 Director === Cat5 === LOR 2 === Cat5 === LOR 3 === Cat5 === CMB24D === Cat5 === CMB24D === Cat5 === LOR 4 === Cat5 === CMD24D === Cat5 === RS-485 === computer

According to your earlier post you already have an LOR 4, try changing the CMB24 marked as 4 to a different #

The switches are left to right  1 being the outside left. 9 is the right side of the switches. Now you must orientate the unit to find switch 1 and you might need a magnifying glass to see the numbers, but they are printed on the board.

I just verified mine personally, switch 1 is on the 12 volt power connection side.

Edited by dgrant

Mr. P

I think you are on to something. Been trying to follow this thread have have been totally lost. Of course I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box. But I think I have figured out what is going on. I am going to have to test my CMB24 real soon myself. 

It is still only finding two of the CMB24D controllers (5 & 7).  I assigned both of them to their respective locations.  However, when I test the light for one controller it does it for both. Also, when I refreshed the search, it kept one of the controllers assigned and then started adding "controllers" for every 10 beyond that.  For instance:

Assigned CMB24D 2 = Unit 5

Assigned CMB24D 3 = Unit 7

Refreshed search with 40 max units

Found controllers at the following units:

CMB24D Unit 5

CMB24D Unit 15

CMB24D Unit 25

CMB24D Unit 35

CMB24D Unit 45

When I select "On at 100%" on any of the units above it turns on all the lights for both CMB24D controller 2 (Unit 5) and CMB24D controller 3 (unit 7).

I am going to mention this only because it happened to me; make sure that your power cords and data cables are not bunched up together and run side by side. Make sure the runs outside are at least a foot apart as the electrical field around the extension cords could mess up the data in the data cables and give you garbled readings.