Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to find a topic

aesl1982

I seen a topic a little while back about hanging lights on windows. Using pvc and pvc clips. I searched the forum can't find it anymore there was a link in there I was gonna follow

thanks a lot that's it, my house is all brick so hanging lights is gonna be tough, its either glue every darn bulb to the brick or I can cut some of that out, by using this around garage, windows and door. just have to drill in the concrete a couple places for these clips

As a test you might grab a pack of the 3M "Command" adhesive strips and see if they will stick. Use them about every 2 ft or so. They would stick to my brick well enough. Ultimately I didn't end up putting lights around my brick but I used the same strips on wood around my windows and they lasted just fine. I didn't get hardly any rain though.

How about these hard wall hangers? You can zip tie pipe to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Hardwall-Picture-Hook-Mount-Medium/dp/B00CBCVUDQ/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1413575564&sr=8-37&keywords=brick+hooks

Just trying to think of a way where you wouldn't have to drill holes in the mortar joints.

I am in the same situation as the poster, all brick and stone front.  I have been wrestling in my mind the best thing to do.  I like the ideas others have done by building wood frames and stapling shingle speed tabs to them.  Think that would look the cleanest, but there is no great way to secure wooden frames to the house.  I think PVC frames with the clips drilled into mortar joints with an extra helping of sealant/adhesive on each clip screw is the way to go for me.  I can then zip tie the lights to the pvc.

I have gone a step further in my thinking (yes I know that is dangerous), and I could even leave the lights attached to the pvc in the off-season and store them in the attic.  The PVC will break down like Tinker Toys, the lights will keep each set where the need to be.  For example Unit ID 02 Channel 1 stays together; Channel 2 is another set of PVC that stays connected together via the light string.  Then I only need to reconnect all the pvc joints year after year.  I am using all CCB's on the house.

The next problem is to stop the zip ties from sliding off.  I was thinking I could put a little notch in the PVC for the zip ties to grab onto.  I am planning on using the gray pvc conduit for UV protection, and it has thinker walls to accommodate the notches.