setting up for Christmas

Watts UP

I know this is an open ended question

. At what point in time

I know it's a matter of how big the display is

You start setting up your Christmas props and lights

do you set up for Thanksgiving or some other time

just curious

Actual setup starts the second week of November for me.  Lights on Thanksgiving night.

Of course living in Tampa, being retired, and only having 5 controllers makes it a lot easier than some.

Edited by FarrOut

I start mid October. Only lights that can be used for Halloween, like my pixel window/door fames, rooflines and corners. Also my wall washers. I hold off on Christmas themed stuff until the first of November.

I start first weekend in October... a few hours a weekend...with the neighborhood pre-lighting party taking place the Saturday before Thanksgiving and the show going live the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Thanks All

Wife wants to get started 1st weekend in November, don't want to look like I am crazy.

This is turning out like a run away train>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> but I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snowman

5 LED trees

3 arches

Train

And plus the lights on all the other stuff

So far used up 1000 feet wire and have a 2nd 1000 on order hope to have it monday.

All the props are spread between to yards.

And more I'm sure.

I start the house stuff at the beginning of October, only because we typically have snow in November and I don't like using 20' extention ladders in the snow. All of my eaves, windows and doors are done and I will run them in Orange and Purple (RGB) for Halloween. Beginning of November I start putting out the yard art, Z-tree, mini trees, snow fall etc. After 20 years doinking with lights, I still like a couple of weeks to fine tune everything prior to startup. Also, It's wonderful how many people stop and want to chat about the display when I'm sitting with my laptop on a lawn chair on the front street tuning my show. My neighbors already know I'm a little eccentric, hence my signature.

Cheers

Daryl B.

I want to share what i do when i splice wire add on

i have been using plastic dip to seal the connections

the stuff works great

paint it on or dip it in the can

November 2nd, Halloween is over at 10 pm the 31st, the 1st is spent packing and storing Halloween. Lights start going up the 2nd for LIGHTS ON on Thanksgiving night

I started last week. It all depends on your set up rigging and size of your display. Take weather into consideration. It is rainy right now in the Chicago area , so I have to work around these days. I do repairs when I can't install outside.  Have fun setting up , I look forward to this every year!

I start setting up Lights Last week of October. Try to go live the day after Thanksgiving but usually always a few days late.... :(

The GE Color Effects bulbs go up on the eves next weekend because they will be used along with the year round landscape lighting. The Christmas stuff goes up starting right after Halloween. I want to be done by the 2nd weekend of November so I have some time for testing / sequence tweeking before lights up on the day after Thanksgiving.

I set up most of the house lights starting in mid September since they are used for both the Halloween and Christmas displays. the props for Halloween come down the day after Halloween and the Christmas props go up Mid November for a Thanksgiving day start. When I just did a Christmas show I started set up the Monday before thanksgiving day for a Thanksgiving day start. This year I have converted all the house lights to RGB dumb and smart pixels and found that the placement of the CCPs are not mounted in a very good spot on the eves so I will have to make a major modification between Halloween and Thanksgiving. It all looks good on the visualizer but when it goes up and plays in real time the issues with real light placement comes out. so yes started setting up the show in mid September this year and the show has been running since October 1st but I am still tweaking it as we speak. lol

Kenny Jure 

Roof lights start this week due to there being ~1200 clips I have to attach.

Next up will be all the house lights and decorations. Then placement of yard items and finally all the wiring.

Should be good to go Thanksgiving night... if all goes well at least. :)

I start Nov 2nd, the day after Halloween comes down. Takes me a week to get it all out there and connected, then start testing each circuit one at a time. This year, I put up the new and improved window frames already because I'm using them for Halloween too. I added RGB dum strips to them...they work!!!! Christmas lights on at precisely 6Pm Thanksgiving night.

Started 2 weeks ago. Lights on the house and around the windows.

Lights are dangling in the mega tree and controllers are connected.

I am going to hook up the mini trees this week(end) and turn them into ghosts for Halloween.

Nov 1 st I work on it non stop untill done.

Light up Dec 1st

All house/garage/poles/windows finished this week (4,300 LEDs). Now wait until 11/1/14 and start adding props to house, garage and yard. Turn on live Thanksgiving night and run until 1/2/15.

Wife and I are starting next Friday 31st

3 part Train and track 99% mini lghts, 5 Led trees 5 led strips per tree, 8 candycanes Led 2 strips per candy cane, snowman throwing a snowball and the splat combation of rope lights,incandescent and led's (sorry I don't know the wording or bulb number/size)

And all the other stuff going to leave that for the kids.(I hope)

Been working on this for the past 3 months every Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

I used 15+ rolls of led's working on a 2nd roll 1000 feet wire and ordered 500' more for the Led's

I am finding out the wire is the biggest cost. and it may not be!

I have been using 18g speaker wire to extend my connections and 4 strand alarm wire for the led's.

I guess I am going to do that legal thing post signs not to enter yard, to cover my rear end.

Have a great day

Watts Up!