Light-O-Rama Forums

Hows My Display?

Victor Degroot

Hello i'm still new to LOR and had my first show last year,i decided to stick with 16 channels because its our last year at our present house and our future house is "far from civilization" . Please send my feedback on my last show, I know its not perfectly on the beat but i fixed that a few months ago. I already have this years show sequenced and planned because we are pairing two sections of lights to one channel. THANKS!               

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkeMgCco-SU

Edited by Victor Degroot

For only using 16 Channels I think you did an awesome job. Lots of great movement and color changes. Only thing I would do different is on the two red and green rope lights around the windows above the garage, I would use some black electrical tape around the the little pig tails, so the ends would be less distracting.  All in all...BRAVO.

And next year, who cares if you are far from the public...build it and they will come.

This should be required viewing for all newbies. Probably the best 16-channel video I've ever seen. Even with that minimal amount of channels, a little bit of motion and lots of fades is light years beyond the seizure-inducing flashing that is seen so often.

Congratulations! Please don't give it up Victor. Unless you're moving to somewhere without roads and electric, people WILL come for a quality experience.

• Like 1

I agree with George.  I'm a newbie this year, but I've watched a ton of videos and 'this is my first attempt' vids/visualizations and this one is good. 

I see a lot of sequences just keep the beat of the music.  This had motion, fades, and it wasn't just a beat-box.

Good job. 

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone I always hope I can continue doing this throughout my life because I still need to learn a lot more

Very well done! My 32 channel display my first year was not even close to that. So many people overuse the lights(myself included still to this day). You'd think I'd get it after 7 years. 100,000 lights don't need to be on all the time. Very well done!

• 2 months later...

Well, whaddya know. A newcomer enthusiast from my home town of Gilroy.  :P  Welcome! 

Unfortunately it appears Youtube axed your video. Youtube tends to do this claiming copyright violations (despite our constant protest this falls under "creative and original use"). :wacko:

If you want, I can help you with that. I own the domain http://www.gilroylights.com. Right now it shows just my family's house (since i'm only aware of one other home in Gilroy who puts on a show around Christmas only). I would have no problem splitting this into multiple homes to show your videos if you wish since you're in the area, or linking it to your site if you want to create your own. Let me know if you're interested and i'll give you an email address to send the video or the link over to.

Also, i'll make a suggestion. If you want to get noticed, contact Alex through http://www.californiachristmaslights.com. This is THE site that a lot of people in the area go to to find the best and most unique Christmas displays. Traffic has increased traffic substantially since I registered my house there.

• 2 weeks later...

It does appear you use more than 16 channels but I know appearances can be deceiving. Great job!

Edited by BryanZ

That was truly amazing that there were only 16 channels.  Had I not know that there were only 16 channels, I would have guessed more then that.  If I watch it a few more times I should be able to identify what you did (and no, I likely won't do that).  BTW, I showed the video to my son who helps me a lot with my setup and told him to give a guess how many channels the display was.  Personally I think his guess was rather high, but he said "a couple hundred".

If you did that with only 16 channels, I can't wait to see what you do with another couple controllers!