Light-O-Rama Forums

Basement disco for young and old- what to get?

g2sync

Hello

I have a basement, that have been a scrapheap for the last 8 years.

Now im cleaning the mess out, and i'm about to redecorate it, and i want to use it as a TV room/party room.

First idea was to get 3 RGB ilda lasers, but i'm having trouble finding weak enough Lasers,

to not burn the eyes out of my or my kids friends :)

So searching around, i found this video that triggered my curiosity.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOxCGzSEYw

Its a way safer way to go than Lasers. Still one static ribbon isnt enough.. .

so searching some more i found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkrTTz-bZBM

(i know this is not LOR) but i guess/hope 12CCR's can do something similar, in a much smaller scale??

-my basement isnt that large :)

The "big picture" in my head, is to  have a "dancefloor zone" and a lounge zone and a entrance zone, where the dancefloor do have the show, and the other zone is more static, but i want to be able to change color, and perhaps have "chase" in that area.

Entrance can have trace at the floor to direct ppl in a narrow hallway..

The lounge zone i have planned for ribbons like the first video, and a few vertical ribbons, that can either follow lounge "mood" or perhaps be integrated to a show.  (thinking of 4 vertical ribbons placed verticaly 6" apart, around 1m/30ish inches long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dEeq8U0ens
1) my first question: can you set up a "grid in software" similar to Ribbon layout? for easier programing?

or are you stuck at this window, and have to figure out how to "move pixels" around since layout in software is not same as how ribbons are fixed? (this is if i place 12CCR's in a star formation over the dancefloor)

I might as well base all my lights for setting mood and try to get this to interact with the music.

2) what kind of music files does LOR software support? i have a good enough sound system, to easy reveal low samplerates on low QL mp3's.  Does LOR software support Lossless files? .if so, what kind of files?

3) RANDOM sequenses :say if someone request a song that doesn't have a how attached to it, can LOR flash lights random to music?  (since you ppl are moust into x-mas lights) - Say random group: flashing to music, can you make 4threes in front of the yard as a group that flashes random to music, and lights in your window frames follow another random pattern? Or will it be a total mess of what light flashes within different "groups"

4) how many channels and what HW/SW do i need?

the floor ribbons in the hallway is not more than around 4meters/13feet .-. cosmic color ribbons?

Then for Lounge zone i need 4 ribbons on 2 walls, around 1meter/40inch each - cosmic color ribbons?

wall/celing depening on how this is possible to change lounge zone from dancefloor zone, but i guess i need 15meters/50feet to cover upper wall/celing ribbon. and ofc RIGHT now i see there will be no christmaspresent for the wife and kids since i see where the money is going!!! back to topic.... And "last" the main lights at the dancefloor celing, either  12CCR's in a star formation, or i might have to arrange them otherwise... so it is possible to make patterns in the SW.

Since we talk about what will be used partly as TV entertainment room, i have a 60" tv, and if im correct it can also be connected to LOR? (did notice a thread about converting video)

i also have 4 spare monitors(2 different sizes) that i also can be put to use if possible.

I can use Ethernet/cables , not wireless.

NOW that was a lot of unstructured thoughts and questions, for my first post, but i hope some of you understands what im thinking of.

Any feedback of ideas, and setup is appritiated.

(not Native to english, so pardon my bad spelling, and sentence structure)

regards F.D. -Norway-

• 1 month later...