Light-O-Rama Forums

Leaping Arch Question

Lynn77

I'm attempting to make a leaping or jumping arch. I wanted to make one using the slip method using 1/2 & 3/4 inch PVC pipe.. I've read and also seen video that the 1/2 inch PVC should be able to slip inside the 3/4 inch PVC. . The hardware stores in our small town have sch 40 PVC white and electrical gray.. I tried both. The 1/2 inch will not slip inside the 3/4 inch. What gives? Are they using a different thickness PVC?

thanks,

Noticed you mentioned schedule 40.  I found the schedule 40 to be rather stiff so located schedule 20 which is

thinner.  Perhaps the 1/2 inch might slip into the 3/4 inch with the thinner stuff. Also, I like the arch with the

schedule 20 better than with the 40.  I have tried both.

3/4" schedule 40 gray PVC pipe with PVC pipe coupling to split each arch. That way after Christmas all arches store flat in 2 short 12' sections.

Use 3' rebar hammered in ground 1.5' with 1.5' entering PVC pipe. Works well thru any wind or snow.

• 3 weeks later...

I use 3/4" sch 26 pvc for my sleeves and it fits fine over the 1/2". My hardware calls it 3/4" sewage drain pipe or something like that.