Light-O-Rama Forums

Separating candy canes?

oilmoney

Hi everyone, I want to build a candy cane spinner but the only ones I can find up here ( without ordering online ) is the ones that have 3 on one circuit. Is it difficult to create 3 separate canes without extensive electrical knowledge?

I had a similar problem with candy cane arch pathway markers.   Someone suggested rope light, but the length at which it can be cut wouldn't fit in the arches.

I ended up replacing the lights that came with the arches with shorter individual strings.

Jerry 

Edited by LORisAwesome

I am not sure if this example is what you are looking for.  I built one this year after grabbing 12 candy canes after Christmas last year.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.267156336714257.58327.161583510604874&type=1

Takes 12 LOR channels but if you want to group them, i am sure you can.

If you cut candy canes originally 3 to a string into single strings you will have effectively tippled the voltage to the bulbs (shortening up to immediate failure).   I have done just that with good results.  On the 3 to a string sets you will have better luck if you turn them into 2 to a string.  Offset the two to opposite sided of the candy cane wheel.  (12 canes would be 6 different sets)  You can still do spins and other stuff but 2 canes on opposite sides will always be lit at the same time.   This will help with the over voltage problem but it still exists.  Don not leave them on very long at a time.  As some of mine  have failed over time i replace the stings with short strings (i buy lots of those 10 to a string sets).  I have also tried rope light but found the directionality of rope lights makes them less than desirable.

I built candy canes last year with rope light.  I bought 4 ft lengths of cold rolled steel from Home Depot - I think 3/8 inch thick.  Built a wooden jig to put a bend in it, and cable tied rope light which I was able to cut into three foot lengths.  I cable tied the rope light to the bent steel.  I put 3 foot rebar about 1 foot into the ground and cable tied the candy canes to the rebar.   Looked pretty good.

rjmcmasters   what size pipe did you use on your spinner to hold your canes in I am working on building one myself I like your idea that is what I was headed to but I like your idea better than mine for attaching the canes

Last year, Walmart had individual candy canes...fyi, no clue about this year yet.

I've already seen them in Walmart and Target. $2 - $3 each.

Thats why a lot of us will wait till things go on sale at the end of season. I think a year or two ago I picked up the candy canes for about $1.25 each. And to blow your mind. I put in LED lamps where there was an ican lamp. Made a wiring harness out of SPT and vampire sockets. 8 wires with sequenced sockets so I have 8 channels with 24 candy canes. All controlled off of a 16 ch DC card. Lot more details but wont get into it here.

Slipperyclam - on the facebook post (not mine), click on the pictures and you can see some descriptions and discussions on what is used.  Per one pic, "The pegs are 1/2" gray electrical PVC cut down. "   I had some leftover 1/2 sch 40 and it worked fine, although I did add a small screw at the base because mine was not quite tight enough and the candy cane wanted to roll.  Agree with Max-Paul, I bought mine last year at discount store here for less than $1.  I think I have more in my posts that I will put them on than the canes themselves.