Light-O-Rama Forums

First year with SS

deh45678

Okay.. This makes it all clear.. 

My RGB strips are not LOR so I guess I did it backward.. I built my arch and then started programming.. tisk tisk and I guess a rookie mistake. ha ha

I'll create my own arch object since I'll only add more of the same type; 48 pixels per each arch.

I do like your idea on having a universe for each object. My PixLite 4 can handle up to 4 universes per output (has 4 outputs).

Just curious,. Would the resolution of a RGB strip (CCR) be 1 pixel for an arch since there's only a single strip?

Thanks again for all of the knowledge.

Just curious,. Would the resolution of a RGB strip (CCR) be 1 pixel for an arch since there's only a single strip?

A CCR strip would be 50 pixels if it is uncut. But, each pixel is actually 3 LEDs on the strip....or 4 inches. So for a CCR don't expect one lit led bulb. It will be one pixel but 3 LEDs. And no they won't be each a red, blue and green. Each pixel is 3 RGB LEDs.

Same with 12v smart strip. I have this and can say it looks exactly like the CCR.

A 5v smart strip could be 1 led per pixel...at least that is what has been said here in the forums. Voltage drop being the reason. The LEDs actually work on 5v and with 12 v strips a converter and extra pixels are used to work proper. I don't own any 5v items so I can't say how they look.

Now, there are dumb strips. Dumb strips are one pixel no matter how long they are....each led is controlled by one chip in the strip. So a long, 16'9" strip...the standard size...would really be just one pixel even though there will be many more LEDs on that strip.

LOR sells these as well as many other vendors. If this is what you have then a single color, no effects other than you could get with a single bulb, are possible.

If you have smart strips, then you need to create a pixel in visualizer for each pixel you have on that strip.

My arches are made with bullet RGB bulbs. I take 10 bulbs and wrap around a section. Then I do this for 4 other segments. So that makes it a 5 segment arch taking up 15 channels of a controller. My resolution is not as small as a smart strip or CCR would be. Each pixel on a CCR is 4 inches...I have 5 segments on 70 inches so 14 inches or so. So not much resolution at all....but it does look like water shooting up and coming down. And that was the intent.

With 2 of these I suck up 30 controller channels.

Anyway, hopefully you have smart strips...and if so then match pixels in visualizer to pixels you have. The more pixels an arch has the better the resolution....it looks better. You can have more effects with more bulbs.

One bulb, no effects. So although it is easier to put in visualizer and to program, it would not be what you want from an arch.

I'm using http://www.holidaycoro.com/Smart-Pixel-LED-RGB-Strip-60-LEDs-m-20-Pixels-m-p/708-white.htm for my RGB strip. So far pretty happy with it.

I might go ahead and use 50 pixels for my arches instead of dealing with creating my own. So I guess I saw the light.. Ha Ha.. 

With 50 pixels that puts me at 150 DMX channels per arch and my controller can 2,720 pixels. Each arch will be it's own universes (really like your idea) and in the long run if I add more arches my single controller can handle up to 16. 

The following is my test run. So far I'm happy with my first run at RGB and arches.

Thanks again for the guidance. 

I'm going through all of the SS tutorials again. Took me a couple trys to figure out the fading in SS but I really like it.

Looks good. Now do some morphs with a twinkling tail. That is when arches look their best.

Well, without a twinkling tail they look pretty good too.

Looks like you are on your way. You got 30 days or so to sequence. I bet you could get 10 songs done.

• Like 1