Light-O-Rama Forums

Technical hints for the "Mega Tree"?

arw01

On the wife's bucket list since she was young is to light this tree.

20131127-tree-with-pipe.jpg

The tree is 55' high and approx 35' in diameter.

I plan to light from the top down with draping strings, 16-17 sets of RGB lights of 50 each, and another 16-17 sets of standard LED (if they ever show up) that would be split at 25 so I can light to top half separate from the bottom half.

For the first time up the plan is  a bucket truck, but I would like to figure out a way to not need the bucket truck to put them up and down each year.

Ideas?  Brainstorms?  What ifs?

To complicate it more, the tree splits the trunk:

20140104_tree-2.jpg

Since then I have hired an arborist to clean out the inside of the "mega tree".

Buy a bucket truck/lift.

A pulley system will get the lights up but they won't end up on the outside of that tree IMHO. Especially at the top.

Tell her to add a bucket lift to that bucket list. :)

And I'm serious. That's a serious tree with a lot of long branches up top. It won't be easy or even possible without a lift.

Sky hook?

Someone on a lift is the only way to get that high, whether it's you or hire someone. My guess is after a couple phone calls to get an estimate, then let her know how expensive it'll be and it'll be very expensive, she'll revise her bucket list.

In the meantime, pray for lightening LOL.

Good luck!

I have hung strands of lights about 35 foot up.  What I did was use roof snow rake poles that you connect together. I used heavy #9 wire and made hooks and used electrical tape to fasten them to the end of the strings. On the end of the poles I cut to pieces of wire about six inches long and taped them to the top of the pole making a fork to hook the lights. Just need to do it on a calm day.

I had considered some long poles, maybe a 20' 1/2 emt with another 10' section attached, would get me 1/2 up the tree or let me re-position strings that might not have been in the right spot.

With the pulley's I figured I would need to have a guy wire that would let you pull it out away from the tree at about a 45 degree angle so you would not end up with them in the tree as mentioned above.

Maybe next week make some more calls around and see what I can find for a late on a Saturday it's not going to go our rate.. 

At the equipment rental places, they have available bucket type trucks or lifts that will get you up there but that's still a long ways up. I asked about one out here and it was $150/day. You could hire in a crane type for more money. If you went to all the trouble, then hang a ton of lights on it and make it worth the effort and cost!

$150 would be great if I can find a place down in that range. The first couple of places I called wanted like $500 a day to get 60 feet into the air so you could move around the tree a bit without having to come down and then move it and then go back up!

Still waiting on a load of leds and strobes and all my spt-2 wire from christmas-leds.com, between supplier issues, shipping delays, port closures, more delays, my July items are showing up in likely November, it's bad..

In our town the fire crew puts lights up in a tree taller than that using the ladder truck.  They do it for the community tree and list it as a "High Rescue Training" session.  Might ask them if they'd be willing to give it a try.  Could be a good way to form a partnership with a capable crew and get your lights up too.

In our town the fire crew puts lights up in a tree taller than that using the ladder truck.  They do it for the community tree and list it as a "High Rescue Training" session.  Might ask them if they'd be willing to give it a try.  Could be a good way to form a partnership with a capable crew and get your lights up too.

That's a good point. Community points often go well with city service like this.