Light-O-Rama Forums

Talking to my house

eurbani

I wanted to so something special for opening night.  I'm thinking that a trigger is the way to go, but I haven't used them and I'm not sure that I can do this with a trigger.  

Picture this, my house has a huge talking face.  I want to carry on a "conversation" with the house.

A the beginning, the face would be in a silent mode (lit up and maybe glancing right and left and occasionally blinking).

I say something like, "OK house, let's start the show"  (then I click a button)

LOR runs a sequence where the house talks to me and then goes back to the silent mode.

I respond to the house and then click the button again

LOR runs a sequence...  (and so on).

Any thoughts of how this could be done?

I think you can do that with multiple triggers. I don't know if you can use the same trigger or not though. You would be scheduling multiple shows, each with its own "waiting on trigger" command, setting them up all back to back. Maybe you could use the same trigger. I've never tried that so I'm no expert but I think you can do it.

If you are running the show from a computer, consider a Jukebox setup in the interactive section of the Show Editor. With it you would need a single trigger to fire off the house talking back to you. Only thing you'd have to do is remember your lines. :)

[From the docs]

"Jukebox" interactive groups allow you to define a group of sequences, each hooked up to be triggered by an individual circuit on some LOR controller, such that only one sequence in the group can be playing at any given time, and if one already is playing when another is triggered, the first will continue playing uninterrupted, and the trigger will be ignored. If you assign more than one sequence to a single circuit in a single jukebox, then whenever that circuit is triggered, the "next" sequence in the list, round-robin, will be played.

Both musical sequences and animation sequences can be placed into a jukebox interactive group.

Yes, that would be pretty easy with interactives. I use interactives every night for my year round landscape lighting. As Don said, I think you would need to be running the show from a computer rather than a show director. What you will likely want to do is have an animation sequence running that has the basic background lighting (if any). One of the issues you will need to be careful is that your face needs to NOT be running in the animation sequence - else the animation sequence and the talking face sequence will be sending conflicting commands. Just something to be careful of. Bear in mind that you can have a startup sequence that brings up the basic face and then leaves the lights on at the end of that sequence. Then you have an interactive group that has each of your "house responds" sequences. Each time you press the button the next "house responds" sequence plays. I'm having to think about how to have the main show start. It would be easy to have a show start based on a trigger (I do that every night), but you really need to have the main show start while the interactive show is running. I'm don't think you can have a show running and have another start. With a little careful timing involving the run time of your "chat with the house" show you should be able to do it. I may do a little playing with that one tonight...

I like that idea...

Thanks guys. I will play with it. I've never done a trigger.

I don't have the header for the controllers yet. I think that the CCR controller has an input. It looks like a 3.5mm. Am I correct?

You can use any number of header type connectors for the trigger input. I happen to use an old computer sound card connector.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if he does what you are trying to do, but you might want to talk with George Simmons.  His house is also a giant talking face.

What a cool set up. I love it..... I have been looking at doing something like this but with my 4 faces. my job sometimes doesn't permit me to be home on opening night so I leave that to my singing trees. Great job  eurbani. 

I don't know if he does what you are trying to do, but you might want to talk with George Simmons. His house is also a giant talking face.

I did it already. See the video