Light-O-Rama Forums

newbie question

Wychristmaslights

Good Afternoon

I want to make sure I know what I am buying before I hit the check out button. Im buying my first controller (hopefully this evening if this question gets answered). Im looking at just a basic 16 channel box with a FM transmitter. The first package I found was the Showtime Central kit, I thought this was the way to go until I read a little farther into it. If I understand correct I do not need the Mini Director if I am going to run the program off my computer correct? If that's the case then I can just buy the basic starting package and a FM transmitter? Thanks for the help

You do not need the mini-director if you plan to run from a computer.

Getting the Starter Kit plus a transmitter would work just fine.

I would try to upgrade the software to the advanced unless cost for the upgrade is a problem right now. Don't know if it's an option but at least call and try. May not think you need it now, but eventually you are going to want to upgrade. You are limited two controllers with the basic. Check the software comparison section for what will fit your needs down the road.

Starting this late, you really need to hop to your sequencing efforts. You do not need to wait for the controller to arrive...start your sequencing now.

• Like 1

ok, I have showtime downloaded onto my computer now, purchased 4 ready to go songs and got it all figured out last night how to get them to load up to make a show. My question to you guys as a newbie and feeling completely lost is how far should I upgrade? Im already have planned to probably go up from 16 to 64 channels next year and have some ideas, this years plan is to get the basics and figure out how to properly use the equipment. Also can someone point me in the direction of how to obtain the scene from National Lampoons Christmas when Clark is doing the introduction to his light show or is that something that Im going to have get the sound bite to and make my own sequence to? Thanks guys

If you are going to upgrade, go straight to the Advanced level license. I have the Clark's Christmas thing where the lights are off then it suddenly comes to life. In mine, I actuallly turn on 3 small trees in my yard instead of none in the movie.

where can I find the sequence for that? I have been looking all over the internet for it!!

Well, I created my own, for my display but its really simple...just a lot of twinkling lights when he plugs in the cord.

Unless your planning on having 100's of channels off the bat, you shouldn't have to pay for a single sequence.  Most holiday songs are available already sequenced and made available for free by someone.  Just google the song name and LOR.

Its easy to customize the songs to your layout.

You WILL need the LOR software license to support your channels.

I hope you bought the starter kit, which has the software the 485 adapter.  http://store.lightorama.com/spk800.html

Also, you can save a lot by buying the DIY soldier kit.  Takes about 2 hours for an unskilled person to put it together, much faster if your good with a soldering iron.

Cost wise.. I would NOT buy the FM transmitter offered on this site.  There is a much better one on Amazon for $39.00!

Edited by chandalen

I purchased the started kit and a FM transmitter. We bought 4 premade songs from LOR and sad to say once I got the program loaded and started messing around I am upset with myself for doing it. I'm in the process of upgrading to a higher license and have already made a intro song on the program. My main concern right now is that the premade song channels are not lining up with the channels that I used to make my intro, granted that's a easy fix but I still think that in two months time I could program a few songs on my own and put a show together. I also looked into the DIY boxes and am going to wait till the one I bought arrives and investagate how difficult this is going to be. Im on a rotating schedule and have 10 days in a row off once a month, I could make a lot of boxes in the summer months!!!

In Sequence Editor...  goto   TOOLS    Channel Configuration      This will show all devices, and light channels and its easier to fix there than each channel.

When I bought my first package from LOR, I didn't do enough homework.  Meaning I bought all the items separately instead of in a bundle.  LOR has AMAZING customer support (would ONLY be better if they had a military discount *hint hint*)  and they reduced my next purchase cost to compensate for the money I coud have saved.  THATS CUSTOMER SUPPORT!

The DIY kits can be put together in about an hour.  Granted, I can solder very well so its not that hard for me.

I would also suggest buying 17 of the 6' extension cords from your local Dollar store, and use those.

ALSO.. I noticed there is a 16 channel kit on the planet Christmas link offered on LOR.  That one is $105 versus the one on LOR is $135.   My understanding is the ONLY DIFFERENCE is the screw on terminal lugs on the LOR card and the direct solder/clamp on lugs on the planet Christmas one.  

I have one of each, and I can not tell a real difference.

Edited by chandalen

and that is why I go to forums and ask as many questions as possible. I just went and checked that out in tools. AWESOME!!! Granted it only took me about a hour to put together a small simple show but still that's a easy fix!

• 2 weeks later...