Light-O-Rama Forums

3mm strobes with RGB using CMB24D mega tree

cowboy casey

ok everyone, Am I on the right track?

I am using 14 5M strips connected to outputs 1 through 7 and connecting 200 3mm 12 volt LED strobes to output 8. 

If I add 3 strings of about 70 of the 3mm leds to 1 of the 3 channels on #8 I can turn them on and off just by adding red green or blue to that channel, correct..    if I want all of them on at once i would max out ( or white) all of the channels on #8

it works in my mind but just wondering if anyone has done this before?

No i think you just wouldn't combine those last 3 channels (that have the strobes) into an RGB channel, you just leave them as individual channels.

ok, that would make it easy...  Ive been working with just RGB and my brain is wrapped around doing that only right now...

Thanks

Good Morning everyone,

Dennis, yep, the strips do take 3 channels and a common power...  These new LED's that I got are just 2 wire, power and ground and do what they do when you power them..  I figure I can have them in 3 sets, 1 for each channel..

Tony, I have gotten 200 strobes prewired for the mega tree and 200 RGB slow blinking for my radio sign from a store on ebay here in the states....

http://stores.ebay.com/Lighthouse-LEDs?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

here are the strobes that I got..  http://stores.ebay.com/Lighthouse-LEDs/12v-3mm-Flashing-Pre-Wired-LED-/_i.html?_fsub=4677151012&_sid=43968882&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I am not sure how they will look but we will see  :)  I am hoping for the best....  I just couldn't see spending 6 to 18 dollars for 1 real strobe plus wire and plugs on my budget at this time...

So, I recieved the strobes....   and, well....  they are kewl and I think they will add do my tree but they are not anything close to what we would think a strobe light would be...  They blink about 3 times every 2 seconds give or take...  they all blink at differant times and it does give kind of a kewl effect...   but not a "STROBE" light..  :)  it is a strobe effect....  I am not sure I want to take a 3 channel's away from my tree to do this..  I may get another 12 volt waterproof converter and plug it into one of my 16 channel controllers and control them that way...

And that is why the real strobe light cost over 7 bucks a piece..  :)  maybe next year....

The 5mm RGB slow blinking lights for my sign are really kewl though and will work perfect...  they slowly go from RGB and then combine to make other colors including white and then go back to RGB...

Cowboy,

I was wondering about the intensity of those 3mm strobes.

So they are more of a flicker/blink than they are a strobe?

Can you post a small video of them maybe at a distance?

Tom

Edited by Santas Helper

you are spot on, they are more of a flicker/blink..  they do send light out the top more than the sides..  4 of them lit the wall up about 6 feet away nicely...  I will see if I can get some video of them, it may be this weekend before I can get the time to connect some of them up....