Light-O-Rama Forums

Back-up your Sequences

75redman

This goes out to everyone not just the newbies.  This subject has been brought up over and over again.

Well I'm bringing it up again.

It's a good thing that I have all my stuff backed up on a flash drive because my laptop just took a dump!

If I had not backed up my files I would be in a world of hurt because I wouldn't have anything for my shows with it being so close to start up.  You never know, it could happen to you, so be prepared and back your files up!!!

So get to SAVING and HAPPY LIGHTING!!

• Like 1

Sheesh. That reminds me of last year. I have mine on Dropbox, Onedrive, 2 thumb drives, 2 DVDs and a friend has a backup too. Last year I would have had to take everything back down, one week from "Lights On". I am glad I had everything backed up.

Good post 75redman.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Just started using Dropbox and 2G free is enough for the average user to store their music and sequences on. Should defiantly look into it if your currently not using it

Just an FYI. Dropbox was rendered useless to me last year by cryptorbit.

Use thumb drive and/or DVD for safest results.

Or go crazy like Ron. I might have to go his route. Can't have too many copies.

• Like 1

I use Dropbox all the time for storing sequences I'm working on.

For $59 bucks a year Carbonite does a finer job of backing up than I ever could, and the only thing I have to remember is to pay them every 12 months.  The number of times that's saved my bacon over the past two or three years - for less than the cost of a controller - makes it a no-brainer for me.

Just an FYI. Dropbox was rendered useless to me last year by cryptorbit.

Use thumb drive and/or DVD for safest results.

Or go crazy like Ron. I might have to go his route. Can't have too many copies.

lol, I have my sequencing laptop, my desktop which is linked with my laptop to keep everything up to date as I make changes, plus 2 thumb drives kept in seperate areas of the house. They both might not be right up to date all the of the time, but certainly not starting from scratch lol

I use Dropbox all the time for storing sequences I'm working on.

For $59 bucks a year Carbonite does a finer job of backing up than I ever could, and the only thing I have to remember is to pay them every 12 months.  The number of times that's saved my bacon over the past two or three years - for less than the cost of a controller - makes it a no-brainer for me.

I second Carbonite. I keep all my pictures and videos there too. Over 300gb. If the house burns down and destroys all my "local" backup copies i've got it all safely stored off site.

My Raid setup went south, plugged my WD passport in to my other pc and it can't be read and finally put in my flash drive that had last years stuff on it and that is corrupt now as well.  3 strikes, I'm farked. 

Edited by Bob Hall

My Raid setup went south, plugged my WD passport in to my other pc and it can't be read and finally put in my flash drive that had last years stuff on it and that is corrupt now as well.  3 strikes, I'm farked. 

You're using raid-0 (striped)? Or did you lose more than 1 drive in a raid-1 or raid-5 configuration?

I don't know how carbonite works, but Dropbox was networked to PC and acts like a typical networked drive. I was backing up my portable drive to my nas when cryptorbit (a ransom ware type malware) hit.

Nas (8tb), corrupted. Portable, corrupted. PC, corrupted. Dropbox, corrupted.

Luckily I had my show computer offline and it had all my data from previous shows. But I did lose days of work.

If carbonite backs up remotely without your input then you can have the same problem. My corruption happened when I was sleeping. So if you happen to be backing up and get corrupted at the same time...rare but it was what happened to me...it can happen to you..

And I know you can call and get a backup from previous date....but how far back and how quickly or easy will that be? If this happens during show time...it may take more time to get it back then you have.

And if you think you don't go to "those" type of web pages. Well my corruption came from Google plus page. It is getting to the point that no web pages are safe.

Now, I have DVD,thumb,nas,PC. I still haven't fixed Dropbox. Show computer is not actively networked. I can connect to bring in the goods but the DVD and thumb is just as easy.

It is great to have storage and backups on the cloud. But nothing is faster than slapping a DVD or thumb in.

I might go Ron's route and start putting my LOR data on friends PCs. Can never have enough spots.

That provides for a very good argument for having a "Good" antivirus software protecting your computer(s). I have two different AV programs on different machines of course that I rely on and they work and yes, I did my homework on them before buying either. PM me if anyone wishes to know what that software is.

Av will never keep up with the bad guys. Not one av caught or stopped cryptorbit or it's predecessor cryptorlock. These are malware. So av is important and so is malware protection but be aware that they lag behind the virus and malware creators.

Be vigilant with unknown email. Be careful with your surfing. Have active up to date av and malware protection. But even if you do all that you still are at risk. So back up your important files and keep them in a safe location.

Now back to sequencing.

You're using raid-0 (striped)? Or did you lose more than 1 drive in a raid-1 or raid-5 configuration?

Raid-1 config.  Machine won't boot of course.  Can't access the drives using a dock either.  The one drive is unreadable and the other is in RAW format.  When I get more time, I need to see if I can convert it.

Raid-1 config.  Machine won't boot of course.  Can't access the drives using a dock either.  The one drive is unreadable and the other is in RAW format.  When I get more time, I need to see if I can convert it.

Did you try booting the computer with just one of the drives connected? Alternate which drive is connected. If you remove them from the computer and try to read them on another computer it won't work. It needs the RAID controller in the computer to read either of them. Unless they are both bad one of them should work if you had a raid-1 config.

Did you try booting the computer with just one of the drives connected? Alternate which drive is connected. If you remove them from the computer and try to read them on another computer it won't work. It needs the RAID controller in the computer to read either of them. Unless they are both bad one of them should work if you had a raid-1 config.

Yes, tried booting the pc up that way days ago.  FYI, the external HD was connected to this pc as well.  The flash drive was sitting on top of the pc case.