Light-O-Rama Forums

Between shows?

litedanite

I was curious to know what is something I can do so some of the lights stay on between shows, I may even add some narrative book to go with the lights but just something so that my house looks nice between shows.

How much idle time?  I experimented with all lights on for 10-20 minutes between shows.  The motorists did not like it, so I went back to a continued show cycle (no show breaks).

• Like 1

People can see a static display in lots of places. No one driving by is likely to stop for a static display, unless you're well over 100,000 lights or so.

People driving by to see your synchronized to music display will drive away disappointed if there's nothing going on.

I have short  (I think 20 or so second) break between songs, where the lights are all on or are doing something.

I am with George, people would drive away if there is nothing going on.

I made 1 minute animations to play between shows. Sometime just all lights on or some fades in and out. Nice thing about the show scheduler is that it will just keep repeating the 1 minute animations until you queue a musical sequence.

Continual loop...  People are coming to see the show not lights off or all on.   Some people asked to take a picture with all the lights ON so I extend the THX music Bite and at its end all the lights are on for about 5 sec.  Long enough to snap pictures!

Because of traffic issues, and this being my first year, I'm only doing 2 songs with at least a 5 min break.  I need to let people see some blinky lights, then move on.  I'll have to experiment to see what works.

Back to the original question, are you guys with breaks just making a different sequence so that the house isn't dark while waiting for the next show?

Because of traffic issues, and this being my first year, I'm only doing 2 songs with at least a 5 min break. I need to let people see some blinky lights, then move on. I'll have to experiment to see what works.

Back to the original question, are you guys with breaks just making a different sequence so that the house isn't dark while waiting for the next show?

If this is your first year, you may be dissappointed in the traffic unless you live on or are viewable from a fairly busy street.

Because of traffic issues, and this being my first year, I'm only doing 2 songs with at least a 5 min break.  I need to let people see some blinky lights, then move on.  I'll have to experiment to see what works.

If you're only doing two songs you won't have to worry much about crowd control. It's your display, but your life would be much simpler if you just let them loop all evening. When people hear repeats, unless your sequencing is somewhere near spectacular, they'll figure it out and leave on their own.

What I did for pictures was to make an announcement that plays before a song telling folks a photo op is coming up after the end of that song. I use "The Syncopated Clock" (Google it if you're under 50) and I change the scene/colors midway through for a couple different looks.

• Like 1

What I did for pictures was to make an announcement that plays before a song telling folks a photo op is coming up after the end of that song. I use "The Syncopated Clock" (Google it if you're under 50) and I change the scene/colors midway through for a couple different looks.

George, have you ever filmed this?  I would love to see just a snip of what you do...  I'm going to do something like this, this year...

Thank you for the suggestions, I will probably just keep the crowd happy and continue the show! thank you guys!!! 

That's what I would do. George and others express the real deal and I agree.

Make sure you monitor the traffic.

With only 2 song you may not have an issue.

I would shorten the break, 5 minutes is a long time.

Mine are about 20 seconds with Elf announcing the next song, the light do different thing between each song (all on, just one colour on, flash like crazy or fade)

I'm on a main road with no shoulder for stopping.  I've already warned my neighbors - who are all on-board with the show.  And I plan on talking to the police both as a warning of what will go on and for suggestions.

I have more than 2 songs, but only plan on playing 2 at a time so that I don't completely shut down the road for more than 6-7 minutes at a time.

I'll definitely monitor traffic and adjust according to what I see.  But I hadn't thought about repeating songs to get people moving - good advice.

If they are really good songs and they like it so much, they might stick around for 20 minutes to hear it over and over. That would be a compliment in my book. :)

I live on a cul-de-sac, so viewing down the street is easy.  I usually have a 20-30 minutes show that loops, and have had viewers sit through 2 showings. If it were to get bad, I would just shrink the show or put lights only.  Both will instantly resolve any traffic issues, but I never pretend to be a rent-a-cop.

Something a newbie should know - no matter what you do - voice-overs or playing cop, viewers can & will be stupid & rude.

Example - 2 mailboxes have been destroyed across the street due to drivers jocking for position.

- Driver watching whole show IN a neighbor's driveway - with their headlights shinning on that house.

- Blocking drive ways & getting upset because me or a neighbor are trying to get in our own driveway.

- Cars lined up down the street & someone in an RV/VAN/Bus pulls around the line and in front of my show, blocking all of the cars.

This is where a transmitter with microphone option comes in handy without shutting down the show.

- Driver watching whole show IN a neighbor's driveway - with their headlights shinning on that house.

Folks, please turn off your headlights for others to enjoy the show, including myself and stay parked in the street or my neighbor will charge for parking.

- Blocking drive ways & getting upset because me or a neighbor are trying to get in our own driveway.

Folks, please don't block the driveway. We have lives too.

- Cars lined up down the street & someone in an RV/VAN/Bus pulls around the line and in front of my show, blocking all of the cars.

Folks, please keep all large vehicles on the opposite side of the street to keep from blocking the display for others.

Now I will add. If your just leaving the house for shopping or dinner, that's your own fault. Get all that done BEFORE it gets dark.

I had to do that and it made life so much easier for everyone. Your neighbors should catch on to that as well. It's only for a month.

Just my thoughts.

George, have you ever filmed this?  I would love to see just a snip of what you do...  I'm going to do something like this, this year...

I've never filmed the photo op if that's what you're asking. I suppose I never thought it would be interesting. The announcement is fairly short and tells people to get their cameras out if they're interested because the photo op is up next. It also includes a headlight reminder (as does almost every announcement I use).

Here's a video of the sequence I use for a couple different announcements, including the photo op. Just so happens I videoed the welcome greeting one and not the photo op version.

• Like 1

Folks, please keep all large vehicles on the opposite side of the street to keep from blocking the display for others.

On two separate occations I've had large vehicles stop right in front of ME while I was videoing the show after hours. (1:00am)  I've also had to stop an argument one time due to someone stopping right in front of the house in front of everybody else.  ( I actually killed the show for the rest of the night)