Light-O-Rama Forums

Blue LED's

Steelers95

This is just a general question about blue led lights. Last year I bought many sets on sale at lowes but in general why do the blue leds look blurry when looking at them from a distance. has anyone noticed that they kind of mess with you eyes. Im debating on weather or not I should not use them ,has anyone avoided using them because of this ?

- Any thoughts

Those strings are Half Wave Rectified strings, they kind of give you a flicker illusion. Full Wave strings won't give you that issue.

• Like 1

How can you tell if they are half wave or full wave, will it say on the box because when I looked on the boxes it doesent say anything about half or full wave

Edited by Steelers95

Due largely to competitive price pressures and fueled by the average wholesale buyers' (and consumer's) ignorance over what they're buying, it's rare - perhaps even unheard of - to find full-wave lights in retail locations.

Edited by George Simmons

when im up close looking at the lights they look perfectly fine, I don't even notice a flicker but then when I step back the lights become blurry looking but it only seems to happen with the blue led's ive never noticed this problem with any other color.

I believe part of the issue is also higher intensity of blue LED light and its shorter wavelength. There are a number of explanations on the internet about this. I think it comes down to the focal point of the light and the number of receptors in the retina. 

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?183489-Why-do-Blue-LED-llights-look-blurry

http://blog.codinghorror.com/blue-led-backlash/

so getting a full wave light string would be the easisest way to fix the problem?

The easiest fix is standing back a few feet from the lights.

If you do your light shopping with any of the vendors you see mentioned here, I believe they all carry only full wave lights. This is a tough time of year price-wise, but most vendors have early Jan pre-season sales that rival after-Christmas retail prices, but you get lights that are far, far better quality.

I still think that blue has some kind of weird effect on my eyes. Heck wife had a G6 pontiac, with red dash lights. Screwed with my vision and did not like it either. I know my blues are full wave, but can see how half wave would mess with my eyes more.

Actually called the 1 800 number on the box and asked if they were full wave or half wave and they told me that the blue led lights were full wave. now i did hapen to confuse them with the question of full wave or half wave so there is a chance that they could have just picked an answer at random but i dont believ so. im just going to stick with the lights that i have and put them out this year but i do apprecaite all of the replys. 

Easy way to check.  Plug the lights in and wave them back and forth at arms length in front of you.  If they leave a strobe like on-off light trail they are half wave.  If they leave a solid light trail they are full wave.  Might be easier to see in the dark.