Light-O-Rama Forums

A SHOCKING new developpment!

big_dog_501

So, I’m perusing the latest copy of the Planet Christmas Magazine and I come across this advert for GeekMyTree.com. These guys have come up with a pixel array that you can throw onto your indoor Christmas tree and just like that you have a Plug-n-Play 10x16 pixel tree.  You plug in vertical strands of pixels to a control box, plug it into an 110VAC outlet and Whalla you got Nutcracker effects on your indoor Christmas tree.  They say it is compatible with LOR and Nutcracker and can be programmed but the documentation on the WEB page is sorely lacking.  They don’t even list the price yet.

So now anybody with a Christmas tree in their front window can have a pixel tree in their display that is Plug-n-Play.  Why did I work so hard to learn about RGB pixels and controllers and sequencing them when now just anybody can have the same thing handed to them?  I feel this new product will cheapen my display somehow.  The 12x50 pixel tree that I have worked so hard for will now not have the same Bang that it could have had.  People will look at it and say, “I can do the same thing at my house with GeekMyTree”.

Don’t get me wrong.  I can’t wait to get one of these things and I don’t even have a front window to put it in.

The last price I saw on that tree was around $100 a string if memory serves. I don't remember where I read that, but I'm pretty sure that was the going price. With what I spent on my 16 x 50 tree, I could get about 6 strands of the GMT pixels. Too rich for my blood.

The lights are more like $2.50 per light. They are the highest quality, steel connectors, u can stand on the lights. But for my 2400 light megatree tree would cost over $6000. So I use diy, fuss with lower quality lights, have to configure everything. Others may like the Cadillac solution. Depends on the person.

• The topic was locked