Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Beginner Hints!!!

Guest guest

just thought i would start a thread asking people to add those little things you dont find out till your done with your 4 minute sequence and have to start over now. for example:

convert your audio files to wav format and use that. WHY? because when you slow the play speed of a MP3 in the sequence editor to try and get the exact point of an event the time bar does not sync with the music. but it does if the file is in wav format.

and most important. Save Save Save your sequence often. it really sucks when you get done with 3 hours work and losse it to a computer crash

please feel free to add your "wish i knew that" tips :waycool:

fdny260 wrote:

and most important. Save Save Save your sequence often. it really s***s when you get done with 3 hours work and losse it to a computer crash

YES!!! Exactly...... My entry in this list is that i wish someone would have started a thread like this before i started to sequence last year!!!

Here is one.

Read EVERY input from the LOR forum and Sequencing forum. It will save many many hours and lots of questions. There is a bunch of neat stuff the beginners NEED to read before attempting to get started.

Also, "baby steps, baby steps, sequence a little at a time.

READ INSTRUCTIONS!!! - I learned that one myself.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Tom

fdny260 wrote:

and most important. Save Save Save your sequence often. it really s***s when you get done with 3 hours work and losse it to a computer crash

If you own a computer, you should already know to save anything. But don't stop there. Save it on something else besides the computer your using. I save everything on a memory stick every time I make a change. I save all sequences to my hard drive and the memory stick when I'm done for the day.

If the computer's memory is anything like my memory, then I'm better off saving it quickly.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Tom

Santas Helper wrote:

fdny260 wrote:

If you own a computer, you should already know to save anything. But don't stop there. Save it on something else besides the computer your using. I save everything on a memory stick every time I make a change. I save all sequences to my hard drive and the memory stick when I'm done for the day.

If the computer's memory is anything like my memory, then I'm better off saving it quickly.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Tom

I second that! I lost a really good sequence due to a laptop powersupply burn-up, the computer works off of batt but i drained that trying to get the file off. Second use songs YOU like and program in a comfortable chair so you dont drive yourself crazy! Also use the play visable screen, saves you alot of time!

--Daniel L

I’m not sure if this has already been done but I have found that while doing Sequences of the mega tree I could do something like a rotation lighting effect (one rotation) and using the select tool copy and past this One rotation sequence over and over several times, kind of a spining effect, save this as a separate sequence and use it in other sequences in other shows, I’m starting a collection of “canned Sequences” comes in handy and saves time. I found it quite useful copy and pasting parts of one sequenc to another.

RayNMesa wrote:

Sequences of the mega tree I could do something like a rotation lighting effect (one rotation) and using the select tool copy and past this One rotation sequence over and over several times, kind of a spining effect,

Loop the sequence it's a faster way to repeat a sequence.

glenn

glenn wrote:

RayNMesa wrote:
Sequences of the mega tree I could do something like a rotation lighting effect (one rotation) and using the select tool copy and past this One rotation sequence over and over several times, kind of a spining effect,

Loop the sequence it's a faster way to repeat a sequence.

glenn
only problem there is loop only works in animation sequences

Good point Yeutterg , I do a copy and Past multiple time In the antimation sequence, and save it there , and when I need to use it in a musical sequence I just copy and past to the same channels, the right spot on the timeline. not sure if it's the right way but it woks for me. I also import my channel and antimation info while Im at it, I also have a boiler plate for that also called "My setup"

I found it handy to group all your channels by function. IE: Don't put the fog machine in between other lighting channels. I've found that when I want to fade in a group of lights like a mega tree, and the roof line, or the icycle fence, it's much easier to simply select the column without running across a unrelated channel.

Also, plan your sequences as you picture your house. Take the time to draw out your display on the animation as if your home was in the picture. Much easier to visualize. Be sure to use your animation screen when activating your channels.