Light-O-Rama Forums

Modifying fairy light strings

godman

Does anyone know how to hook together multiple strand of fairy lights? A neighbor gave me about 25 sets but unfortunately thy cannot be plugged into one another like traditional light strings.

I wanted to modify so I can put 2-3 strings on one 120V outlet. These fairy lights have the controller as well that make them twinkle etc. I want to remove the controller and just hook 2-3 strings together

They are just like the ones below........

http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Light-String-Christmas-Lights/dp/B005LTS4TO

Does anyone know how to hook together multiple strand of fairy lights? A neighbor gave me about 25 sets but unfortunately thy cannot be plugged into one another like traditional light strings.

I wanted to modify so I can put 2-3 strings on one 120V outlet. These fairy lights have the controller as well that make them twinkle etc. I want to remove the controller and just hook 2-3 strings together

They are just like the ones below........

http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Light-String-Christmas-Lights/dp/B005LTS4TO

Well here are just a few thoughts. The controller might also have a rectifier. Also are these white LED? Different color LEDs have different voltage drops. By removing the controller you know have to build a power supply, which means you might have to add a resistor. Also the string might not have the proper wires to extend the proper voltage to the end of the string.

Dont think it is going to happen without extensive modifications. Not cost but labor and technically prohibitive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have these lights and I'm tagging onto Max-Paul's reply. They are very pretty and I love the variety of effects. However a few caveats one should keep in mind.

First, (and I'm not sure what your plans are), I would never try to use these for any kind of outdoor application. Indoor strictly. They are not safety lab tested like UL etc., (at least the packages I bought about a year ago). To my observations there are a few obvious safety issues that preclude outdoor use in any region that has any amount of measureable precipitation or heavy fog that would wet the lights.

Second, The controller is required to operate these as it does contain the rectifier. I suppose you could cutoff a controller of one and splice the resulting ends into an open end of another strand to Lengthen the run. However without knowing/measuring the controller output specs (volts mili amps etc) or the resulting strand's circuit requirements one can't evaluate the load on the controller and/or the success or longevity of a spliced strand. How familiar are you with a DVVM?

Just my own few thoughts,

Best George

Edited by Ti03

They might be good for trees such as a soft mood type lighting effect. If I had trees in my front yard, they would probably do nicely...just weatherproof the controller of course. It would be nice to turn these on between shows, again, if in trees.

Okay I checked mine, bottom line don't do it...they offer a connectable version on Amazon but the plugs go through the controller...also I would reiterate the extgreme caution with which I would utilize these lights...please read the product review on the Amazon web page for "100 LED Fairy Lights multi color"  by Susan Edwards...read that and I think you'll see why I cautioned about outdoor use at all.