Light-O-Rama Forums

Need advise on my mega tree

slipperyclam

I have decided now that I need to go higher with my mega tree I am thinking of going to 20 ft  more than likely using the porta hole for the pole base. But what I am struggling with is how big do I need to make base of the tree and what to make the tree topper out of and how to make it that I can crank it up to the top

Most people seem to agree that a 2:1 ratio of height to base diameter makes for a good looking shape. In the end, make it whatever size YOU want it to be.

Agree with Ron, except for the PVC. Only place you can use PVC is say a hoop at the bottom that you tie your light strings to. Anywhere else is asking for a major failure.

Yeah, Max is right. I've tried the PVC route for the center pole to no avail. A 20' PVC center pole would be a disaster. The center pole that I use is 1 1/4" galvanized. The PVC stuff linked above, is for the base.

so say I go 20' a 10' trampoline frame would work good for a base??  what a bought a hook head to crank up I know I seen somewhere one made out of pvc

so say I go 20' a 10' trampoline frame would work good for a base??  what a bought a hook head to crank up I know I seen somewhere one made out of pvc

The 10' trampoline frame may be a little big for a 20' tree. The ratio won’t end up being 2:1 since the base ring will be elevated. It will be more like 17' from the ring to the top with the 10' ring being 3' off the ground. It’s all just personal preference. Personally I like something in the 2:1 to 3:1 range

For the hook head and other hardware try 3G Lighting Creations http://store.3glightingcreations.com/mega-tree-parts/ or Christmas Light show http://www.christmaslightshow.com/outdoor-Christmas-tree-decorations.html

Both are great vendors and do great work.

If you use the 10' trampoline frame on the ground and not elevated (remove the legs), you'll be good. I did that. Worked great too.

I made a hook head out of a PVC coupler I bought at the hardware store. The PVC coupler and hooks, two screw-in eyelets and some rope or cable. Then two pullies mounted at the top. Did this version on my first mega tree and now a friend is still using it years later.

And lastly, a metal pole/pipe for the center.

Here is something very close to what I made. Very easy and very cheap and works very well.

topper_zpsb766ebd1.jpg

Edited by Santas Helper

Santas Helper thanks for the pick I think I will try that hook head. I think I will have legs on my trampoline base but to keep the ratio right I am just going to extend the pole up so that it is 20' above the base that way the bottom is not in the snow like last year