Light-O-Rama Forums

Useless Question

Denny

This question has absolutely nothing to directly do with LOR or decorating and is basically a curiosity type question. 

When making cables or working with electrical wire, I often notice a thread or string running through the outer jacket with the wires.  Just what is the purpose of that string, other than to irritate me when trying to cut it?  There has to be some reason/requirement for it to be there, otherwise manufacturers would not waste the money to put it in the bundle.

Nope!  It is strictly there to irritate you.. serves no other purpose.   :P

OK.. OK..  the string is dimensionally stable in the linear direction.. so when you pull on the cable thru conduit or whatever, you won't stretch the conductors.  So I have been told..

Plasmadrive is right to one aspect, The other reason is it can be used as a rip cord for striping the jacket of the wire.

Plasmadrive is right to one aspect, The other reason is it can be used as a rip cord for striping the jacket of the wire.

I didn't know that. That would have saved me several cut fingers this year.

on some cables that string may be in the middle of the conductors and pulling it to strip the jacket may be a bit difficult.... 

But Denny.. it is to irritate you for sure.. :P

on some cables that string may be in the middle of the conductors and pulling it to strip the jacket may be a bit difficult.... 

But Denny.. it is to irritate you for sure.. :P

I'm looking for you!  Once the cuts on my fingers heal up!  :ph34r:

Tried stripping the jacket with that stupid thread - only succeeded in "stripping" my fingers.  That is some tough jacket and one strong, fine thread.  Have to cut the jacket to get to the thread to pull it anyway.  Must have been a sadist that thought that up! :wacko:

Don't look for me.. look for Sonoma... I said not to do it!   :blink:

BTW, there is a MUCH EASIER WAY!!!    Get a CAT5 jacket stripper.. then you can "ring" the outer jacket without nicking the wire.. then you just pull the length off you need.  

http://www.parts-express.com/platinum-tools-15015-cat-5-6-cable-jacket-stripper--150-740

I swear.. sometimes I think you guys just like to see your own blood to make sure the green color is not becoming predominate..   :P

Don't look for me.. look for Sonoma... I said not to do it!   :blink:

BTW, there is a MUCH EASIER WAY!!!    Get a CAT5 jacket stripper.. then you can "ring" the outer jacket without nicking the wire.. then you just pull the length off you need.  

http://www.parts-express.com/platinum-tools-15015-cat-5-6-cable-jacket-stripper--150-740

I swear.. sometimes I think you guys just like to see your own blood to make sure the green color is not becoming predominate..   :P

Now that is a great idea.  I have one, just never thought about using it for other than cat 5.  Down side, I only have 6 wires left to do!

If I use that string to "cut" the outer jacket I get a decent set of needle nose pliers and pull it with that,  That's the way I was taught in electronics school!  

Otherwise, yes, you can not only cut your fingers and get a nasty cut from that string, that string can actually amputate a finger.  Never, never pull with fingers, always use needle nose pliers to use that string for cutting the outer jacket from the interior bundle of wires.  Matter of fact, we always had to wear some form of protective glove when using that string to cut open the outer jacket to get to the internal wires.

Then once stripped open and the internal wires exposed, you can cut the string off flush with a pair of wire cutters, that string will dull a pair of regular scissors.

Edited by Orville

Now that is a great idea.  I have one, just never thought about using it for other than cat 5.  Down side, I only have 6 wires left to do!

I use mine to strip all multiconductor cables.. even the white ones from Ray.. Works great!   All finger blood is still in my fingers too!   ;)

If I use that string to "cut" the outer jacket I get a decent set of needle nose pliers and pull it with that,  That's the way I was taught in electronics school!  

Otherwise, yes, you can not only cut your fingers and get a nasty cut from that string, that string can actually amputate a finger.  Never, never pull with fingers, always use needle nose pliers to use that string for cutting the outer jacket from the interior bundle of wires.  Matter of fact, we always had to wear some form of protective glove when using that string to cut open the outer jacket to get to the internal wires.

Then once stripped open and the internal wires exposed, you can cut the string off flush with a pair of wire cutters, that string will dull a pair of regular scissors.

BTW I never said to use your fingers to pull the string.... You should always practice safety first like Orville I too use needle nose pliers not my fingers. But then again

"THIS IS HOW WE LEARN!" 

Edited by sonoma

ALSO.... (Just to be an A*&) In the making process the string is used to pull the wire set through the sheathing mold (the thing that puts the outer jacket on the cable).....

Greg

ALSO.... (Just to be an A*&) In the making process the string is used to pull the wire set through the sheathing mold (the thing that puts the outer jacket on the cable).....

Greg

"the making process"..????

I thought only those guys in the mob were "made".   :P

yep it's called a rip cord, usually made out of Kevlar or some type of Polyimide... Finally I can use my knowledge from work productively.  

• The topic was locked