Light-O-Rama Forums

Building Window Light Frames - best options?

Orville

I'm considering making some light frames to install between my storm windows and have a few questions about them.

Material I am considering is 3 foot long, 1/2 inch wide wooden planks{stakes?}, but not sure what the best method for mounting the lights would be to them.

#1. Would you drill holes and push the lights in?{they won't go all the way through the wooden planks I'm thinking of using}.

#2. Would you mount the lights around the front of the frame that faces outward?  {I'm also considering setting this up for Halloween with both Clear incandescent strands and Orange Incandescent strands}.

#3. Would you consider another type of material that might work better for this, if so what? {again these will be mounted between storm windows, and they will be controlled with an LOR CTB16PC controller from inside the house}.

Thanks for any tips, suggestions or any help on how I can best accomplish this task.

I made mine with 1x2's and used tie wraps to hold them...I've used the same frames now for 4 years and the same lights!!!!! LED M5

I laid the lights flat on the 1x2 and it worked out well as far as a visually. Other people have used PVC and wrap the lights or you can use J-channel and insert the bulbs....

I'd do a search on mounting lights around window frames...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY__eOKs4zI

I made mine with 1x2's and used tie wraps to hold them...I've used the same frames now for 4 years and the same lights!!!!! LED M5

I laid the lights flat on the 1x2 and it worked out well as far as a visually. Other people have used PVC and wrap the lights or you can use J-channel and insert the bulbs....

I'd do a search on mounting lights around window frames...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY__eOKs4zI

Did you paint your 1x2's black or leave them as is?   Not sure if I really need to paint them or not.  

I'm just considering this for the moment, I have a lot of excess planks lying around, so was thinking of using them that I bought to make a temporary fence for some parts of my display, but seeing I can't even have a temp fence where I am now, I have to consider other options, so I have the wood and was thinking of using it.

But before I commit to making these things, just wanted to get an idea of what others had used and recommend, before bringing out the measuring tape and hand saw.  Yea, I have to cut these all manually by hand. Ugh, I AM NOT really looking forward to that, but will do what I have to do to create some type of light frame for these windows.  Which by the way are a pain.  But I need something for inside use that I can take out when time to dismount everything.

So looking for a simple, easy solution to getting lights in the windows.   If it weren't for how these things are made, I just do what I did for years at other places, put them around the inside of the window frame itself, just not feasible with these, I'd have to remove the interior window and frame to do that.  And that's just far too much work, when a light frame will probably be so much easier.

I did not paint mine. With all the lights covering them you can't even notice. I can take a few pictures to show you when I get home tonight..The 1x2's seemed to work well as they have a little flexability with them and they fit nice and snug within the frame of the window. I store them in my garage till its time to install. I have 7 window frames in all and that part of the installation takes me about 10 minutes...very functional....PM with your e-mail and I'll send them tonight.

EZ

I aslo used 1x2's. I did paint mine. However, I used (dumb RGB's) and inserted them in an aluminum channel the has a dome shape translucent cover that I got from Holiday Coro. I mounted them on the inside of the 1x2's so I didn't have to cut and solder the corners. This will be my first year to try them this way.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107186290187585278264/JustATreeNotMiniNotMegaJustATree

Here's one way to do it.

I use PVC for my windows. They are pixels now but when I did regular lights 2 years ago, I'm still using the same PVC frames. Even if you use the wood, you'll eventually need to replace it. The pvc will last a lot longer. I would however, use the gray Electrical Conduit, just for the UV protection.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107186290187585278264/JustATreeNotMiniNotMegaJustATree

Here's one way to do it.

I use PVC for my windows. They are pixels now but when I did regular lights 2 years ago, I'm still using the same PVC frames. Even if you use the wood, you'll eventually need to replace it. The pvc will last a lot longer. I would however, use the gray Electrical Conduit, just for the UV protection.

May have to check into the gray PVC.  The wood is in excellent condition I have, but will visit Home Depot or Lowes and check out the Gray PVC for the frames.     Definitely want something that will last me at least for 4-5 years before I'd have to repair or replace with something else.

So it's an option I will definitely take into consideration.

Thanks Ron.

I aslo used 1x2's. I did paint mine. However, I used (dumb RGB's) and inserted them in an aluminum channel the has a dome shape translucent cover that I got from Holiday Coro. I mounted them on the inside of the 1x2's so I didn't have to cut and solder the corners. This will be my first year to try them this way.

Happen to have the url for where the aluminum channels and translucent covers can be viewed?  Would like to take a look at them and see if they might work for my incandescent lights I am planning on using.

EDIT: This is very odd {too me} I would have thought a reply to indi would be separate from the reply to Ron.   First time I think I've ever seen the forum "combine" two separate replies. posted at different times???

Edited by Orville

Consecutive posts by the same user, in a short period of time, are combined into a single post.

That 'short period of time' is adjusted at time throughout the year for various reasons. None of those reasons are meant to impact users current posting habits. Mostly in place to keep the excited new folks from posting multiple posts at once when they reply to their own thread in a rapid fire manner.

Consecutive posts by the same user, in a short period of time, are combined into a single post.

That 'short period of time' is adjusted at time throughout the year for various reasons. None of those reasons are meant to impact users current posting habits. Mostly in place to keep the excited new folks from posting multiple posts at once when they reply to their own thread in a rapid fire manner.

Thanks for the explanation.  At least now I have a clue as to why it happened and will continue to happen.  :)

What size lights are you using? I use C-7 and mount them in vinyl "J" Channel, check out bazillion lights. I think that is where I fond out how to use the "J" channel. 

Mike

What size lights are you using? I use C-7 and mount them in vinyl "J" Channel, check out bazillion lights. I think that is where I fond out how to use the "J" channel. 

Mike

Mini Orange Incandescent and Mini Clear Incandescents, guess you could say they look like the M5 style LED bulbs, but are the glass originals to their newer LED cousins.