Light-O-Rama Forums

A Challenge to all for some fun

plasmadrive

CHALLENGE TIME.   I have an older song that would be a blast to see programmed.. So here is the deal. There can be two ways to do it.

#1:  The programming can start any time after Jan when everyone is done with Christmas for this year.  The judging will be next year about Christmas time because I want to see it on everyone's display and how they play with it.

OR

#2:  We can form teams.  max of 4 players on a team.  This means that you have to divide up the song amongst yourselves in approx equal time.  Each segment will be on the display of the person programming.. so for every programmer there is display that is different.  Sections can go back and forth from house to house during the song, as long as the time is shared about equal. (as the song permits)

This is NOT a Christmas song, it is a techno song and it is several years old... I won't put it on my display for my show, but I will program it just for fun and video it.   I will show my display but of course I can't win.  

So I will ask one person that is not in the running to help me judge.  You will submit videos for either the 1st or 2nd scenario (which ever we decide) for judging.  Original audio may of course be added to the videos.  If we choose #2 then someone on the team needs to edit the videos together..

I saw one KILLER laser show by LOBO Lasers to this song and it was IMPRESSIVE.. never forgot it and always wanted to do it.. So.. I invite you all... wanna have some fun?    Oh yeah.. there will be a prize.. It won't be announced until long after the signup is over but it will be good.    I have no commercial interest in project.. it is just for fun.

opting in will be until March 1st.  After that, no more entries.  We need enough interest to proceed and if there is enough interest then we need to pick either #1 or #2 for the format.

The song is by Safri duo

Sounds like fun. The tune has lots to work with.

You could always have contestants send in their .lee and a copy of their finished sequence in protected form. (People still using the Animation will be covered - that works fine in protected sequences.) That way they could be judged before the season rather than during it. I'm sure you'd still see a bunch of videos.

Edited by George Simmons

Sounds like fun. The tune has lots to work with.

You could always have contestants send in their .lee and a copy of their finished sequence in protected form. (People still using the Animation will be covered - that works fine in protected sequences.) That way they could be judged before the season rather than during it. I'm sure you'd still see a bunch of videos.

Hey George,

Thanks for the suggestions but....

Kind of what I want to do is have everyone put it on their own displays just for the video (or they can keep it there)  I think it would be way better to see the props in a video..  Once they have it programmed and the display is up for Christmas.. they could shoot it rather quickly and it wouldn't be a bother (not much at least).  No special setup and so on. 

I hope we get some legs.. that song should be a hoot to do..

Craig

You guys are amazing.........programming just for fun............I can't get a new song per year done for my own display.

I admit, I hate programming.

Steve

You guys are amazing.........programming just for fun............I can't get a new song per year done for my own display.

I admit, I hate programming.

Steve

It is ALL just for fun...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I worked a lot on this song in October.  But I did not finish it or ever play it on my lights.   I would like to participate but ran out of time.   So sorry. 

Listening again to that song...

For my tastes, it needs some serious editing - it's at least a minute and a half too long. 

At three and a half minutes, we're getting into Pink Floyd length and they're definitely not even close to being in that league.

I might sequence it for fun, but I foresee people driving off before two minutes.  As is, no matter how brilliant my sequencing, it's not going to make it into my display.  

Edited by George Simmons

I would be willing to judge these videos... I have too much time on my hands while I sequence new songs for the next Christmas season that hearing "regular" music (aka this song) would actually keep me sane. That is, if you are okay with me opting to be a judge. Another idea is to have a scoring panel of judges who will send a score (out of 5 [5 stars] or 10 [10 points]) to you, the contest owner. The one with the most points/stars wins. Just a thought.

I would be willing to judge these videos... I have too much time on my hands while I sequence new songs for the next Christmas season that hearing "regular" music (aka this song) would actually keep me sane. That is, if you are okay with me opting to be a judge. Another idea is to have a scoring panel of judges who will send a score (out of 5 [5 stars] or 10 [10 points]) to you, the contest owner. The one with the most points/stars wins. Just a thought.

I like that Idea. I have way to much custom work to do for people so I won't have any time to sequence, but I too would be willing to help judge or rate each video. I like the point system and multiple judges. 

It hasn't started yet..  

?  You mean I did sequencing a YEAR early!    ha   ok  I ran what I have so far on this years display and made a video.    May I post it now as a pre-submission draft?   The back beat is not there and I havent filled in all the elements yet. 

Listening again to that song...

For my tastes, it needs some serious editing - it's at least a minute and a half too long. 

At three and a half minutes, we're getting into Pink Floyd length and they're definitely not even close to being in that league.

I might sequence it for fun, but I foresee people driving off before two minutes.  As is, no matter how brilliant my sequencing, it's not going to make it into my display.  

Yes George, I plan to edit it to a lot shorter version and that will be the basis for the sequencing.   That is part of why I put off the start until Jan.  I should be done with the edit in the next few days. 

Keep watching the thread.  The entry doesn't close until March..

Edited by plasmadrive

So everyone..decision time.  Option one or option two?    Need your input. 

Remember, you have almost all year to do the sequencing and then put it on your own display when you get set up, shoot a video and that is what we will use for judging.  If we use the option two (teams) then someone on the team will need to do the video editing to make it into one simple video.  (I am thinking option two might be tough.. but it can be done).