Light-O-Rama Forums

What to buy????

rmturner54

I am very new to this...havent purchased anything. Making plans for next year. Looked at all the different controllers. What to buy??? research research!!!!!!!!What is the difference between the LOR1602W and the CTB16PC?

I am confused. AC or DC controllers???? What is everyone using for supply voltage with the DC controllers?

Eventually things are migrating towrds LED. So I want to be able to control LED's. I looked at this last year but got really busy with faimly issues.

Thanks,

Richard

For the money, the PC versions do basically everything the deluxe version do as long as you're using a pc. They don't do stand-alone. They are limited to 15amps per side / 30amps per controller instead of 40 amps per controller. Not a big issue unless you are trying to run a couple of hundred amps. Then you need a couple of extra controllers. But 15amp circuits are cheaper and easier to deal with in my opinion, from circuit breakers to extension cords. Just my opinion. Your experience my vary from mine.

Thanks TomD,

The pc version is more my style........standalone is not a issue with me. I always have a pc available

The PC cards can also be run with a DC-MP3 card instead of a direct connection to the computer.

Here is another question. How many out there use a DC-MP3 and how many use a dedicated PC to run the show?

Guest wbottomley

Cajun Cheesehead wrote:

The PC cards can also be run with a DC-MP3 card instead of a direct connection to the computer.

Here is another question. How many out there use a DC-MP3 and how many use a dedicated PC to run the show?

I use the DC-MP3 and wouldn't have it any other way.

Running from the PC is the way I prefer.

Actually, I've got a PC that has the FM transmitter and an old stereo amp and a couple of outside speakers.

Then I have my 'production' computer that I work on sequences with.

The sequences are on a file server, so there's no having to copy or move sequence files around....

This is my first year... My suggestions- look at videos on LOR's site and others... Get some ideas... Raid Walmart and Home Depots etc the week after Christmas... Take advantage of LOR's summer sale. Plan what you want, where you want it, how much power it will take, where to put controllers, how to connect controllers to power source, and how to connect lights to controllers.

For the last part, we had removed the female plug off the strings we used in the mega tree... then used 18/3 thermostat wire to connect to the circuits with clear/multi strings and soldered/taped the female plugs to the 18/3 wire. Then we just crimped on the female disconnects for the two circuits and the common neutral. Where we had several of those, we used circuits 1-8 for clear, and 9-16 for multi... Made it easy to connect.

It's late...I'm rambling again....