Light-O-Rama Forums

What do I need?

hemilovers

I have the Advanced Edition with SuperStar 4_CCR. I plan on buying 2 more CCR's, so now I will have 4. But I would like to buy 16 RGB strips from EBay to replace some of the LED light Strings that I put on the roof and around the window's. So what would I need to control the 16 RGB strips? Would I need 2 CMB24's to control them? And Software--Would I need to Upgrade?  Thanks.

I don't see why you couldn't run the (dumb) RGB strips via the CMB24D. Each CMB24D can control 8 RGB devices, so you would need 2 in order to control 16 RGB devices.

Software - You have Advanced, so no upgrade there. If you wanted to program the 16 RGB dumb strips in Superstar at the same time you program the CCR's, then you would need to go to the next level of Superstar.

None of my business, but I wouldn't worry about using anything else (or paying more) to sequence dumb RGB.  It's incredibly simple to do and S3 does it just fine.

How would I sequence the Dumb RGB in S3. I would like to change the colors in the strips. I know it's only one color at a time for each strip, Right? And If I buy the RGB 5050 Waterproof Strips, would I need the Remote or the 12V Power Supply?  Thanks for your help in Guiding me.

Edited by hemilovers

How would I sequence the Dumb RGB in S3. I would like to change the colors in the strips. I know it's only one color at a time for each strip, Right? And If I buy the RGB 5050 Waterproof Strips, would I need the Remote or the 12V Power Supply?  Thanks for your help in Guiding me.

A dumb RGB strip is simply an RGB channel (3 component channels) in S3. You sequence it like any other light, except that you can do color fades and other RGB stuff, like an RGB flood.

No, you don't need a remote, since you'll connect the RGB strip directly to the CMB24.

Yes, you'll need a 12V power supply. Find out how much power each strip requires, and multiply that by the number of strips to determine the size of power supply you'll need. Depending on the power required, it may be better to use 2 power supplies to split the load. The CMB24D can use 1 or 2 power supplies.

I have 8 5-meter RGB strips in a spiral on my mega tree. I use 2 CMB16 boards (because I built it before the CMB24 was sold) with a single 12V power supply.

Thanks for the info. So for each RGB strip, it would be 3 channels if I wanted 3 different colors?

Thanks for the info. So for each RGB strip, it would be 3 channels if I wanted 3 different colors?

RGB means red green blue. So yes one channel for red, one for green and one for blue. By turning them all on you get white. S3 has a color picker tool that lets you program any color you want.

Steve

Caution!!!  The RGB strips from ebay suck in my opinion.  I use them in landscape lighting year round and I have segments go bad after a couple months of use.  I even laid them in silicon for better protection and not run them at 100%. 

Much better to get the strips from Alibaba direct or at least from a supplier that is having them made for them. Then you will get more consistent quality as well as hopefully some support in case of troubles.

Much better to get the strips from Alibaba direct or at least from a supplier that is having them made for them.

Note that Alibaba is like an Etsy.com for China, which means the quality you get depends on the vendor.