Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmission Question

litnup

Orv - you've got to make up your mind.  Either you've seen lag so noticeable that you have to turn channels on early or you've seen lag that's there but not noticeable.  But then, how can there be lag if it isn't noticeable from a human perspective?  I'm so confused...

And no one called the OP a liar.  Please stop trying to put words in other people's mouth.    

That's why when you call in on a Radio Show contest and they put you on the air, they tell you to turn down/off your radio because of this lag time.  Of course the greater the distance the longer the lag time, it may not be as noticeable as one thinks, but that lag time is there just the same.

No LAG is not the reason for them to tell you to turn down your radio. The reason is they are operating on anything from 5-10 second delay.  They tell you to turn down your radio so you don't get confused by talking with the host over the phone then hearing it  5-10 seconds later.  

And no one called the OP a liar.  Please stop trying to put words in other people's mouth.    

People here have DONE that too me more times than I can count George, put THEIR words in my mouth, NOT what I originally had stated.  But I'm not going any further with that discussion either.  This is all I will say on that score.

And I'm not even going to respond any longer on this thread about the lag times any longer either, I told Don I am done with it, and I am not going to re-hash it or stir it along any further than it's already gone.

TTFN

That's why when you call in on a Radio Show contest and they put you on the air, they tell you to turn down/off your radio because of this lag time.  Of course the greater the distance the longer the lag time, it may not be as noticeable as one thinks, but that lag time is there just the same.

No LAG is not the reason for them to tell you to turn down your radio. The reason is they are operating on anything from 5-10 second delay.  They tell you to turn down your radio so you don't get confused by talking with the host over the phone then hearing it  5-10 seconds later.  

I understand that.  However, a lot of the DJ's I've listened to on the radio stations I listen to locally in my area have called it "lag time", not delay time and that's why I called it that.  

Just so you understand how I came up with that term in my explanation in the first place.   So I learned the correct term of what it should be called by DJ's and not what it shouldn't have been called.

Sorry Don, just wanted to explain to DE, how I and where my info came from calling it "lag" time in the first place.

BFN

I understand that.  However, a lot of the DJ's I've listened to on the radio stations I listen to locally in my area have called it "lag time", not delay time and that's why I called it that.  

Just so you understand how I came up with that term in my explanation in the first place.   So I learned the correct term of what it should be called by DJ's and not what it shouldn't have been called.

Sorry Don, just wanted to explain to DE, how I and where my info came from calling it "lag" time in the first place.

BFN

Perhaps you can use your new knowledge and educate those DJ's on what it's really called.

The process used by radio and TV stations to prevent (or try to) the broadcasting of objectionable material is called a "delay".

I too have seen the FM lag problem that Orville is reporting.  I actually did a lot of troubleshooting to try and track it down.  What I found was that it's not actually the lag of the radio transmission (our eyes/ears are so accustomed to this lag that we don't see it.)  But sometimes, and I don't know why, the light travels too fast.  So it gets to our eyes before we expect it.

I actually have two versions of all my sequences.  The "normal" version and the "shifted" version where the audio is just a wee bit ahead of the sequencing.  I will go out and watch a couple songs every night and decide if it is a fast light night, or a slow light night and switch to the appropriate set of sequences.  They tell us the speed of light is a constant but from what I have seen that is not a proven fact and more a theory.

Also Steve how cold it is makes the light travel slower........ up in the Northeast we need to adjust for really cold nights the same way.

You think you've got it bad...

Here in MN it gets so cold that we sometimes have to start the show 5 minutes early just so the light gets to people's eyes by the posted start time.

FWIW - Back in the olden days, before broadcast delays became the norm, radio announcers had people turn down the volume of their home radios so as to prevent deafening feedback.

Here in MN it gets so cold that we sometimes have to start the show 5 minutes early just so the light gets to people's eyes by the posted start time.

That was the hidden joke in Christmas Vacation.  "She'll see it later, honey.  Her eyes are frozen."  This is technically accurate, if her eyes are below a certain temperature she will see it later as it will take longer to be processed by her brain since light travels slower through cold.

So,

To help the guy that originally asked for some inexpensive transmitters:

There are many available. Check the wattage on them as you don't want to have issues with the FCC.(Some radio stations are flying and the FAA gets involved too ..JOKE!) 

I found a few on amazon and Ebay... I used no antenna except what was provided on the unit and did ok for the 1st 500 feet. It got a little choppy as I went further down the road. Mine is a Rangestar. I had heard good things about them. I would eventually like to go to a higher wattage (say 15 watt.)  This year I do have an antenna hooked up in the attic.

Hope that helps a bit.

Kip

Here in Alberta the words that come out of the Radio I have on the deck freeze & drop to the ground & when it warms up a bit all the words thaw & you get mumble jumbo.

As for the 1st post....

As for an FM Transmitter I use CZH-05B & it has been working very well the past two seasons. Clear sounding & it can go from 150mW to 500mW. As for using speakers for out side well the best idea would be to use a radio like I do. Such as a Dewalt, Makita, or a Milwaukee. Water proof etc.